MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. - The hits just kept on coming for the Lipscomb Lady Bisons.
In the first of two games Saturday night in the Wyndham Garden Cougar Classic hosted by the College of Charleston Lipscomb slugged 14 hits on the way to 15-7 win over Eastern Kentucky from the Ohio Valley Conference.
It was the fourth straight win for the Lady Bisons who are 5-3 heading into the nightcap game with the host College of Charleston at Patriots Point. Eastern Kentucky, which opened the season this weekend, is 0-4.
The Lady Bisons struck for four runs in the first inning, four in the third, four in the fourth and three in the sixth.
Eastern Kentucky scored two runs in the third, three in the fifth and two in the sixth.
Abby Fenichel led the way for Lipscomb with a game-high five runs batted in and tying for the game high in hits with three.
Fenichel gave a preview of things to come in the first inning with a single to second base that drove in two runs. She slammed an RBI-triple to right field in the third and came back in the fourth with a two-RBI double to left center.
Caitlin Plocheck drove in one run with double down the left field line in the first inning. She drove in two more runs in the third with a single to left center.
Mimi Cartwright doubled to left-center to bring home two runners and end the game.
McCarley Thomas, 2-2, gave up only two hits in 4.1 innings. She pitched the first four innings and then close out the sixth inning with one out.
The two runs she allowed were unearned. She struck out five and did not walk a batter. She hit one batter.
Taylor Neuhart started the fifth inning, her first appearance for Lipscomb since 2014. In 1.2 innings she scattered five hits and allowed five runs, all earned. She struck out three, walked two and hit one batter.
Eastern Kentucky used four different pitchers. Alex Sallberg, who started the game, fell to 0-2 with the loss.
- Fenichel tied her single-game career high for RBI in a game. She drove in five runs at North Florida April 10, 2016.
- Plocheck has hits in all eight games this season. Ward has hits in the last seven games. Gibson has hits in the last five games.
- Gibson has three multi-hit games followed by Cartwright and Plocheck with two each.
- Plocheck leads with two multi-RBI games.
- The 14 hits are the most since Lipscomb collected 14 hits in a 12-9 win over Indiana State March 6.
- Gibson has two triples this season.