NASHVILLE, Tenn. – As the Lipscomb softball team begins ramping up towards a new season, it will do so knowing that the future is bright for next season.
Four freshman make up the class of 2018 that head coach Kristin Ryman and her staff hope will fill a void created at the end of the 2017 season with the graduation of first baseman Caitlin Plocheck and catcher Abby Fenichel.
Abby Davis, Kamrie Rich, Katie Turner and Amy Vetula make up the quartet joining the Purple and Gold on the diamond next fall. Read below to find out more about each signee.
“We are extremely excited about this class and feel it is one of the best we have put together in recent years,” said Ryman. “These girls know how to win, they are good teammates, and they want to learn and get better. They represent what Lipscomb Softball is all about, and we believe they will all be impact players right away. They are strong in the classroom and are excited about the impressive academic system here at Lipscomb. And they come from very supportive families who are going to continue to help us build on the incredible culture of Lipscomb Softball. These girls are already a part of our family, and we can’t wait to get them on campus next fall.”
Abby Davis | 5’5” | OF | Richwood, Ohio | North Union High School
- Two-sport athlete at North Union, Davis earned varsity letters in both softball and track & field.
- Helped get the Wildcats softball team to the Ohio State Final Four in 2015.
- All-State in Softball (2015, 2017)
- All State Indoor Track: 60m (2016), 200m (2016, 2017)
- All State Outdoor Track: 100m (2017) 200m (2017)
- Holds North Union High record in 100m dash, 200m dash, 400m dash
- MOAC Softball Player of the Year (2017)
- All Metro-Columbus Dispatch (2015, 2017)
- Also recruited by Boston College, Marshall, Pitt, West Virginia (track), amongst others.
- Worked at local dairy bar: Coonie’s Cones and Cookin’
- One brother: Austin (19)
- Favorite Pro Sports Team: Dallas Cowboys
- Hidden Talent: Cake Decorating
Coach Ryman’s Thoughts: You talk about a speedster…Abby is the real deal. After she committed to Lipscomb she started getting mail from our track coaches. She’s set a lot of track records through high school. She’s a slapper who is used to being a table-setter, and we look forward to the threat she can be at the plate and on the bases for us. She covers a lot of ground in the outfield, which makes her a prime candidate for centerfield. Abby will be a fun player to watch.
Kamrie Rich | 5’8” | C | Hixson, Tenn. | Baylor School
- Two sport athlete earning varsity letters in basketball and softball
- Softball State Champion (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Basketball State Runner-Up (2016)
- Club softball team ranked 4th in the nation in 2016
- High school overall softball record of 124-17.
- FCA leader in high school
- Plans to major in Kinesiology
- Also recruited by MTSU, Mississippi St., Ole Miss, Georgia Tech, Kennesaw St., USC Upstate amongst others
- Cousin plays football at Wake Forest
- One brother: Christopher Wood (26), and one sister: Alison (27)
- Favorite Pro Sports Teams: Atlanta Braves and Tennessee Titans
- Hidden Talent: Baking
Coach Ryman’s Thoughts: Kamrie is a very polished catcher. She receives really well and works great with pitchers. She’s got a good arm behind the plate and is really a complete package as a catcher. She is someone who takes this game very seriously. She can also play first base and has a tremendous upside as a power hitter. Over the last year we’ve seen her change games with her power. She’s someone who can be a power threat in the middle of our lineup immediately.
Katie Turner | 5’5” | RHP | Ramer, Tenn. | McNairy Central High School
- Max Preps All-American (2017)
- Class 2A Miss Softball (2017)
- West Tennessee Pitcher of the Year (2017)
- All-State (2016)
- All-District (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Class 2A State Runner-Up (2017)
- In 2017 broke single-season school records for most wins (27), most complete games (35), most innings pitched (231) and most strikeouts (404).
- Threw two no-hitters and one perfect game in 2017.
- Out of 882 batters faced, allowed just 1 home run in 2017.
- Plans to major in Exercise Science
- Also recruited by Ole Miss
- Favorite Pro Sports Team: Denver Broncos
- Wants to be an Athletic Trainer
Coach Ryman’s Thoughts: We are really excited about Katie’s future here. She has good speed which will be nice to add to our pitching staff. She has the speed and movement to be able to get hitters out in a variety of ways. She hits too with good power, and we expect her to be in the mix right away offensively. She is a seasoned pitcher, and we are confident that she can come in and immediately make a difference.
Amy Vetula | 5’5” | IF | Canton, Ga. | Creekview High School
- Lettered in softball and track & field
- Georgia 6A Softball State Champions (2017)
- Georgia 6A Softball State Runner-Up (2016)
- All-State (2016)
- All-Region (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- All-Region Player of the Year (2014, 2017)
- Holds school records in career and single-season stolen bases, career and single-season hits, career and single-season assists
- Hit over .500 for high school career
- Plans to major in Pre-Medical Studies or Biology
- Also recruited by Michigan St., South Carolina, Georgia St., Kennesaw St. amongst others
- Has a twin sister Geena (17)
- Favorite Pro Sports Team: Chicago Cubs
- Hidden talent: Juggling
Coach Ryman’s Thoughts: I’m so excited about Amy because she’s a competitor and a go-getter but always has a smile on her face and is fun to be around. Amy plays a lot of shortstop and second but also some outfield. She’s just got a lot of speed and is rangy in the middle of the field. Along with her versatility defensively, she is a triple threat at the plate who we feel will put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses. We are excited about the immediate impact Amy will have.