Birmingham, Ala. – The Lipscomb softball team is headed off to Alabama this weekend for the Samford Invitational with matchups against the host Samford as well as Indiana on deck.
The Lady Bisons (5-2) are set to play four games over the weekend. The action kicks off on Friday afternoon against Indiana at 1 p.m, followed by a 6 p.m. game versus Samford.
On Saturday, Lipscomb will play two more games. The first tilt will be against Samford at 11 a.m. followed by a 1:30 p.m. outing versus Indiana to close out the weekend.
- Lipscomb started off 2018 be defeating the ACC’s Georgia Tech 1-0 thanks to a 17 strikeout performance from junior Mandy Jordan at the Sand Dollar Classic.
- In game two of the season, junior Jordan Fortel no-hit No. 14 Ole Miss in leading the Lady Bisons to a 3-0 win over the nationally-ranked Rebels. Fortel was named the ASUN Pitcher of the Week for her efforts.
- After the 2-0 start at the Sand Dollar Classic, Lipscomb was receiving votes in both the ESPN.com/USA Collegiate Softball Poll and the USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll.
- Last weekend, the Lady Bisons went 3-2 at the EMU Madeira Beach Spring Invite with wins against Virginia, George Mason, and Ohio.
- Jordan went 2-0 over the weekend. She compiled an ERA of 1.40, threw 19 strikeouts, and allowed only seven runs and nine hits. She earned her fourth-career ASUN Pitcher of the Week for her efforts.
Scouting the Opponents:
Samford: Samford is 1-9 so far on the season, with its lone win coming against Evansville 11-5 last weekend. They lost a pair of games to No. 17 Georgia at the Red and Black Tournament.
Indiana: The Hoosiers have started 2018 1-8, with an 8-3 victory over Boston College being the only win. Six of their eight losses have come versus “Power Five” schools, including a 2-1 loss to No. 23 Arizona State.
Live stats and live streaming will be provided for both of the games against Samford, while each of the Indiana matchups will only have live stats. Make sure to check back here for a full recap for the weekend’s events.