HOUSTON – It was not the way they wanted to finish in the “Lone Star State”.
Sunday morning came down hard as the Lipscomb Lady Bisons softball team closed out the Cougar Classic with an 11-3 loss to Northwestern. The Lady Bisons ended a three-game winning streak and are 14-6 this season. Northwestern is 15-8.
The Wildcats struck quickly with one run in the first and four in the second. They added two in the fifth and four more in the seventh.
All three runs for Lipscomb were scored in the second inning on a ground out by Peyton Ward, a single through the left side by Graysen Gladden and a walk by Khayla Green.
Megan Gray, 2-3, started in the circle for Lipscomb. In 1.2 innings she gave up three hits, including a two-RBI round tripper, and three runs, all earned. She did not record a walk or a strike out but she hit one batter.
Chloe Yeager entered the game in the second inning. She allowed seven hits, including one two-run homer, and eight runs, five earned, in 5.1 innings. She did not record a strike out. She walked one batter and hit two.
Morgan Newport started for Northwestern. In one inning she allowed three hits for three runs, all earned. She walked one and struck out one.
Kenna Wilkey, 7-3, threw the rest of the way for the Wildcats. In six innings she scattered four hits and did not allow a run. She struck out five, walked four and hit one batter.
- Jordan Fortel extended her hitting streak to six games and her on-base string to nine games. Both are the longest active streaks on the team.
- Sarah Higgins collected her seventh multi-hit game to take over the team lead in the category.
- Turner extended her hitting streak to three games.
- With her seventh inning, lead-off double Turner has five for the season.
- This was the most runs and most hits allowed by Lipscomb this season.
The Lady Bisons are back home Wednesday to face Bradley in a noon game at Draper Diamond at Smith Stadium.