NASHVILLE - The Lipscomb Lady Bisons softball team closed out a weekend of round-robin play with a 2-0 win over IUPUI Sunday evening at Draper Diamond at Smith Stadium.
Earlier in the day the Lady Bisons fell 6-3 to Bowling Green State. Each team in the round-robin finished with a 3-1 record, except IUPUI which failed to win a game.
Lipscomb enters the week 18-7. IUPUI is 4-15.
An obstacle throughout the day for the Lady Bisons was a lack of consistent work at the plate.
“Offensively, right now, we are not always controlling the things we can control,” Lipscomb coach Kristin Ryman said. “I think game one and game two had some similarities.
“I just think we can be better offensively. There are times where we try to do too much, or we are so frustrated about what we have done in the past. We have to be willing to make adjustments and not be stubborn. We have to learn from those things.”
In the IUPUI win the Lady Bisons connected for seven hits.
They scored one run in the third. Graysen Gladden singled to left field and stole second and then moved to third on a wild pitch. She scored on a single to center field by Jordan Fortel.
Sarah Higgins slammed a two-out, solo home run over the fence in left center to give the Lady Bisons an insurance run.
Megan Gray, 4-3, allowed only two hits, struck out one and did not walk a batter.
“I thought Megan Gray threw a really great game for the second day in a row,” Ryman said. “And that is hard to do against the same team no matter who you are playing.
“I am really proud of the weekend she had. It is a huge step in the right direction for her. We have to keep building with her and with everybody on this team.”
Megan Overton went the distance for IUPUI. She walked one and struck out two.
With ASUN Conference play starting this weekend, Ryman is hopeful the Lady Bisons are learning their lessons, especially on offense.
“We must make good decisions in the moment and control our mentality in the moment,” Ryman said. “We didn’t always do that in these games.”
“The talent is certainly there. I feel confident anyone we put out there can get the job done.”
- Higgins caught for the first time in her college career in the IUPUI game. She made a position switch with Abby Fenichel who played third.
- Gray had a pair of two-hit shutouts, both against IUPUI. She won 9-0 Saturday in a game called after five innings due to the run rule.
- The home run for Higgins was her first of the season.
- Caitlin Plocheck hit her fourth double of the season.
- Fortel and Gladden each connected for a game-high two hits. It was Fortel’s fourth multi-hit game of the season. Gladden added a stolen base and has six for the season.
- Higgins, Plocheck and Peyton Ward each have four-game hitting streaks.
- Gray has three shutouts this season.
The Lady Bisons are on the road Wednesday for a doubleheader at Austin Peay State in Clarksville. The first game starts at 3 p.m.