NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb softball team shutout UAB 2-0 on Tuesday night in a midweek matchup at Draper Diamond.
The Lady Bisons (23-10) scored two runs in the fourth, and it was enough to hold off the Blazers (13-23-1) as sophomore Chloe Yeager shut down UAB on the mound.
Yeager, fresh off of her first career ASUN Pitcher of the Week award, allowed just two hits and improved to 3-0 as a starter.
Lipscomb’s pair of fourth-inning runs came in a similar fashion.
Senior Abby Fenichel started the inning off with a double to right center.
The catcher then advanced to third and eventually home on a pair of bad throws from the UAB defense to give Lipscomb a 1-0 lead.
Junior Sarah Higgins smashed her second double of the game later in the inning.
After a Jordan Fortel walk and Caitlin Plocheck reaching on a fielder’s choice, Higgins scored on another throwing error from the Blazers.
- UAB’s Emily Kachel took the loss and is now 9-10 for the Blazers.
- Yeager is 3-1 overall for the Lady Bisons, and has now won three consecutive starts as a starter.
- Higgins reached base in all three of her at bats with two doubles and a walk. The junior now has a five-game hitting streak, the longest on the team. This was also her team-high 12th multi-hit game of the season.
- Higgins and Fenichel were the only Lady Bisons to record a hit in the game.
- Junior Jordan Fortel drew two walks. She now has 14 on the season.
NEXT UP: The Lady Bisons will host Jacksonville for a weekend series, with a doubleheader on Saturday and a series closer on Sunday.