NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb softball team came ready to play in game two of a doubleheader with Jacksonville as the Lady Bisons rode a seven-run first inning to an 8-0 win in five innings over the Dolphins.
Lipscomb (25-10, 5-3) hit a pair of three-run home runs in the first inning as part of a seven-run frame.
After a single from senior Abby Fenichel and a walk from sophomore Hannah Devualt, junior Sarah Higgins singled to right to score Fenichel and give Lipscomb its first run.
Junior Jordan Fortel notched the first four-bagger of the inning. Her home run off the scoreboard sent Devault and Higgins home to take a 4-0 lead.
Senior Caitlin Plocheck singled next, followed by another single from junior Graysen Gladden.
Junior Destinee Brewer blasted another homer off the scoreboard to put Lipscomb ahead 7-0.
In the second, Devault and Higgins notched consecutive doubles, with Devault scoring on Higgins’ hit, giving Lipscomb an 8-0 lead after two innings.
Sophomore Chloe Yeager has now won four straight starts for the Lady Bisons, after allowing no runs and two hits and dealing four strikeouts in five innings. She’s undefeated as a starter, and 4-1 overall.
Jacksonville (21-18, 3-2) used three pitchers in the game, with starter Seana Mora taking the loss to fall to 5-8.
GAME ONE: Lipscomb 7 Jacksonville 5
The Lipscomb softball team’s bats came alive in the second half of Saturday’s contest against Jacksonville, giving the Lady Bisons a 7-5 win in game one of a doubleheader.
Lipscomb went scoreless in the first three innings before exploding for seven runs in the final three frames.
Jacksonville started off strong, notching two runs in the first inning and one run each in the second and third innings.
The Lady Bisons took their first lead with five two-out runs in the bottom of the fourth.
Senior Caitlin Plocheck started the run with a first-pitch solo home run.
Sophomore Peyton Ward walked, stole second, and junior Grayson Gladden singled to left, scoring Ward for the Lady Bisons second run.
Junior Destinee Brewer then singled and freshman Catilin Turner walked, loading the bases for the Bisons.
Senior Abby Fenichel blasted a bases-clearing double to put Lipscomb ahead 5-4.
In the fifth, the teams traded runs as JU tied it up 5-5 and junior Sarah Higgins answered with a solo home run for Lipscomb to pull ahead 6-5.
The Purple and Gold added an insurance run in the sixth has Fenichel notched another RBI double, scoring Turner.
Junior Mandy Jordan notched the win after five inning of work with four strikeouts, four walks, and four earned runs allowed. She is now 14-3 on the year.
Alyssa Bilodeau earned the loss for Jacksonville, falling to 13-6.
- Higgins reached base in four of her six at-bats for the day, including a 3-3 mark in game two. She now has a team-best seven game hitting streak, as well as a team-high 10 multi-hit games. She also notched three RBI on the day, giving her 19 on the year.
- Fenichel has a four-game hitting streak after going 3-7 today. Her three RBI in game one gives her a team-best 21 RBI on the season and her third 3-RBI game of the year.
- Higgins’ and Fortel’s home runs were their fourth of the season, and Brewer’s was her first.
- Turner stole a base in each game, improving her team-high mark to 14.
- Turner was also the only Lipscomb player to walk twice on the day. She has 10 for the season.
- All nine Lady Bisons starters reached base on the day, and all but one earned a hit.
- Sophomore Megan Gray notched her second save of the season in game one.
NEXT UP: The Lady Bisons will close out the series with Jacksonville on Sunday. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.