NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb softball team closed out the weekend with a series sweep as the Lady Bisons defeated Jacksonville 4-3 on Sunday at Draper Diamond.
Lipscomb (26-10, 6-3) and Jacksonville (21-19, 3-3) each notched three runs in the third inning, but the Lady Bisons scored the go-ahead run in the fifth inning.
Hannah Roberts homered to give Jacksonville a 3-0 lead in the third, but Lipscomb responded immediately.
Sophomore Peyton Ward the rally by doubling to right field, stealing third, and reaching home on a play at the plate from a fielder’s choice by junior Graysen Gladden.
Then, after a single from junior Destinee Brewer, senior Abby Fenichel doubled, scoring Gladden and Brewer to tie the game at 3-3.
In the fifth inning, Fenichel drove in the eventual game-winner with another double to score Gladden again.
Junior Mandy Jordan came in for relief of starter Chloe Yeager in the fourth inning. Jordan allowed just two hits, one walk, and zero runs to earn the win. She is now 15-3 on the season.
Fenichel and fellow senior Caitlin Plocheck were honored before the game.
- Fenichel has a team-best five-game hitting streak after going 2-3 today. Her three RBI in gives her a team-best 24 RBI on the season and her fourth 3-RBI game of the year.
- Brewer and Gladden notched a hit in all three games of the series.
- Junior Sarah Higgins did not reach base, ending her team-high seven-game hit streak.
- Ward stole her 14th base of the season, tying her with freshman Caitlin Turner for the team lead.
- No Lady Bisons walked in the win.
- Alyssa Bilodeau went the distance for Jacksonville, earning the loss and falling to 13-7.
- Lipscomb won all four of their games this week after a 2-0 victory over UAB on Tuesday.
NEXT UP: The Lady Bisons will travel to North Florida next weekend for a three-game series with the Ospreys, starting with a doubleheader on Saturday.