JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Lipscomb softball team closed the weekend series with North Florida on a high note as the Lady Bisons came out swinging to the tune of a 10-3 win in Jacksonville.
Lipscomb (28-11, 8-4) started out slow, allowing three Osprey runs in the first inning.
The Lady Bisons answered with a five-run inning to take the lead in the fifth, and never turned back.
Senior Abby Fenichel walked to start the rally, and then sophomore Hannah DeVault homered to center field, cutting the lead to 3-2.
DeVault’s blast was followed immediately by a home run to right from junior Sarah Higgins to knot it up at 3-3.
After senior Caitlin Plocheck and junior Jordan Fortel reached base, sophomore Peyton Ward tripled down the left field line to send both home, giving Lipscomb a 5-3 lead.
In the fifth, the Lady Bisons put together another five-run inning.
Freshman Jenna Endris came on as a pinch runner after Fortel walked, and Ward doubled to right center to start things off.
Junior Graysen Gladden singled, and Ward was out on a play at the plate, but Endris scored, making it 6-3 Lipscomb.
Freshman Caitlin Turner then reached on an error, setting up Fenichel’s three-run bomb to give Lipscomb a 9-3 lead.
DeVault added her second home run of the day, third of the series, and fourth of the season for good measure to end the inning.
Sophomore Chloe Yeager pitcher her second straight complete game for the Lady Bisons, extending her unbeaten streak as a starter and improving to 6-1 overall.
She allowed just seven hits and two walks and threw three strikeouts.
Morgan Blourne earned the loss for North Florida (22-25, 2-10). She is now 6-7 on the year.
- Fenichel and DeVault each drove in three runs, while Ward drove in two. It was Fenichel’s team-high ninth multi-RBI game. She leads the team with 29 RBI.
- DeVault, Higgins, Ward, and Gladden each went 2-4 in the win. Higgins leads the team with 14 multi-hit games.
- Turner, Plocheck, and Ward were the only Lady Bisons to get a hit in all three games.
- Fortel has the longest current reached base streak at five games.
- Ward stole her 16th base to give her the most on the team.
- Fenichel’s home run was her seventh of the season, which leads the team.
NEXT UP: The Lady Bisons will be back in action with a mid-week matchup on Wednesday at Tennessee Tech at 5 p.m.