NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb softball team earned their 30th win of the season on Tuesday night as the Lady Bisons run-ruled Battle of the Boulevard rival Belmont 13-2 in five innings at Draper Diamond.
The scoring started early for the Lady Bisons (30-13). After a single from junior Graysen Gladden, fellow junior Jordan Fortel belted a two-run home run to left center, giving Lipscomb a 2-0 lead in the first inning.
Brooklin Lee bashed her own two-run home run to left center for Belmont (22-20) to tie the game at 2-2 in the top of the second.
Lipscomb answered with a six-run bottom of the second.
Sophomore Peyton Ward walked, stole second, and advanced to third on a throwing error. Junior Destinee Brewer walked and stole second as well. Then, Gladden tripled to score both, putting Lipscomb back ahead 4-2.
Gladden herself scored after a single from senior Abby Fenichel.
After walks from junior Sarah Higgins and sophomore Hannah DeVault, senior Caitlin Plocheck smashed a bases-clearing double to right center to put Lipscomb ahead 8-2.
In the third inning, Fenichel singled to right to score Gladden in a repeat of the second inning to make the score 9-2.
In the fourth inning, the Lady Bisons added four more runs to put the run rule into effect.
DeVault walked, Plocheck singled, and junior Khayla Green walked to load the bases. DeVault scored on a wild pitch, Ward hit a sacrifice fly to score Plocheck, and pinch hitter Jenna Pealor blasted a double to score Green.
After re-entering for Pealor, Brewer then scored on a wild pitch to make the score 13-2.
Sophomore Chloe Yeager (8-2) earned the win for Lipscomb after allowing two runs, two hits, and two walks.
Fortel came in for three innings and allowed no runs, three hits, and one walk, and threw two strikeouts.
Brooklin Lee (12-10) earned the loss for Belmont.
- Plocheck notched a season-high three RBI, her third multi-RBI game of the season.
- Fenichel notched her 33 and 34 RBI of the season. She leads the team.
- Gladden and Fortel also each drove in two RBI, Gladden’s second multi-RBI game and Fortel’s seventh.
- Fenichel went 3-4 at bat to lead the team. It was her 11th multi-hit game of the year.
- Gladden and Plocheck each notched two hits. It was Gladden’s sixth multi-hit game and Plocheck’s ninth.
- DeVault drew a team-high three walks. She leads the team with 26.
- Fenichel’s team-best hit streak is at six games after the win.
- Fortel’s home run was her sixth of the year.
- Ward added to her team-leading stolen base total of 18.
- Gladden stole two bases. She has nine on the year.
NEXT UP: Lipscomb will play its final ASUN regular season series as the Lady Bisons host FGCU for a doubleheader on Saturday and the series finale on Sunday.