NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb softball team lost the game and the series on Sunday afternoon in a nail biter as FGCU came away with a 2-1 win in nine innings at Draper Diamond.
After five-and-half scoreless innings, the Lady Bisons (31-15, 9-8) took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the sixth thanks to a solo shot from junior Khayla Green.
The left field blast was her first home run of the season.
FGCU (35-15, 9-6) answered back with a tying run in the seventh to send the game to extra innings.
Brittany McGuire doubled to left center, scoring pinch runner Emily Demurias.
The Eagles took the win in the ninth inning. With the bases loaded, LuLu Nemark singled to send Racquel Fournet home for the game-winning run.
Despite going eight innings and allowing only three hits, three walks, and two runs and dealing 1-0 strikeouts, junior Mandy Jordan (15-7) earned the loss for Lipscomb.
Starter Riley Randolph (15-6) notched the win for FGCU after allowing nine hits and tossing four strikeouts.
The Lady Bisons left 12 runners on base for the game, including back-to-back scoreless bases loaded situations in the first and second innings.
- Senior Cailtin Plocheck went 4-5 on the day to lead the team. It was her first four-hit game of the season and 11th multi-hit game.
- Senior Abby Fenichel’s team-best eight-game hit streak came to an end in the loss. She did reach with a walk to advance her reached-base streak to nine games.
- Fenichel also drew her team-high sixth hit-by-pitch.
- Plocheck now has a team-best four game streak going.
- Junior Graysen Gladden stole her 11th base of the season, and fellow junior Destinee Brewer stole her sixth.
NEXT UP: Lipscomb will close out the regular season on Thursday with a six p.m. game at Western Kentucky.