DELAND, Fla. – The Lipscomb softball team bowed out of the ASUN Tournament with a 4-2 loss to the three-time defending champions USC Upstate on Friday afternoon at Patricia Wilson Field.
The No. 5 seed Lady Bisons (33-17) came on strong at the end, but it was too late.
After four-and-a-half scoreless innings, the No. 3 seed Spartans (34-18) scored four runs in the bottom of the fifth to take a commanding lead.
Kristen Wright singled to score Kayla Hussey, Logan Morris was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to score a run, and then Brittany Case singled to score Karla Beasley and Ashley Gilstrap.
Lipscomb answered with runs in the top of the sixth and seventh.
In the sixth, after a single from senior Abby Fenichel and a double from junior Jordan Fortel, junior Sarah Higgins hit a sacrifice fly to send Fenichel home for the Lady Bisons first run of the game.
Sophomore Peyton Ward blasted a solo home run out over the right field fence in the top of the seventh, keeping Lipscomb’s hopes of a rally alive.
Sophomore Chloe Yeager (10-3) earned the loss after just over four innings of work. She allowed five hits, four runs, and three walks with four strikeouts.
Junior Mandy Jordan came in for relief for the final two innings, allowing just one hit.
Christina Biggerstaff (17-9) earned the win for Upstate, going the distance with five hits allowed and four strikeouts.
- Junior Destinee Brewer grabbed Lipscomb’s fifth hit in the game.
- Fortel’s team-best hit streak was extended to six games. She has also reached base in team-high eight straight games.
- Fortel and junior Graysen Gladden drew the team’s only walks.
- Ward’s home run was her third of the season.
- Higgins notched her 25th RBI of the year.
- Fenichel and Plocheck each played the final ASUN Tournament games of their Lipscomb career.