LAKE CHARLES, La. – Based on the results of the season opener the Lipscomb softball team is going to be a well-balanced one as coach Kristin Ryman predicted in preseason.
Friday morning the Lady Bisons shut out Campbell 8-0 in the Cowgirl Classic at Joe Miller Stadium hosted by McNeese State.
Lipscomb starting pitcher Mandy Jordan set the pace on defense striking out the side in the first inning. She would repeat that feat two more times before leaving the game after four innings. She struck out 10 of the 12 batters she faced. She did not walk a batter or allow a hit.
The Lady Bisons slammed five doubles, with Jordan Fortel connecting for two.
Megan Gray closed out the game for the Lady Bisons, allowing a single and no runs. She struck out back-to-back hitters to get out of a bases-loaded jam in the sixth.
- Freshmen Amy Vetula, Abby Davis and Katie Turner all made their collegiate debuts. Davis started in left field.
- In 2018 the Lady Bisons opened with a 1-0 shutout of Georgia Tech.
- Four Lipscomb players collected two hits – Fortel, Khayla Green, Graysen Gladden and Peyton Ward.
- Green drove in a game-high two runs.
- Davis stole two bases in the win.