TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Lipscomb Lady Bisons softball team used a 12-hit attack and a complete-game shutout by Mandy Jordan to start out the Unconquered Invitational on a winning note.
The Lady Bisons 8-0 win over Samford gives the team a positive lift as it heads into this afternoon’s game with host Florida State at JoAnne Graff Field. at 4:30.
Lipscomb is 7-4 and has won its last three games. Samford slipped to 4-8.
It may have been an early morning game, but the Lipscomb bats were awake early. Sparked by a three-run homer down the left field line by Khayla Green the Lady Bisons opened with five runs.
They would add two more in the sixth on a double to right center by Jordan Fortel and one more in the seventh when Caitlin Turner slammed a double to left center.
Mandy Jordan, 2-2, threw a three hitter. She struck out six and did not walk a batter.
Lacey Spear, 3-2, did not get out of the first inning and took the loss for Samford.
- This was the second shutout of the season for the Lady Bisons against Samford. They shut them down 7-0 at the Cowgirl Classic at McNeese State Feb. 8.
- Jordan Fortel extended her team –leading hitting streak to eight games.
- Peyton Ward was hit by a pitch in her first two plate appearances.
- Graysen Gladden’s four hits tied the team high set by Fortel against McNeese State.
- Also getting multiple hits were Sarah Higgins and Jenna Pealor with two apiece. One of the hits by Higgins was a double.
- Ward and Gladden each stole two bases.
The Lady Bisons face No. 1-ranked Florida State. The Seminoles are 3-0 all-time against Lipscomb in softball.