|March 13, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: JORDAN (6-4)||4.0||6||3||2||1||4|
|Loss: SULLIVAN (10-2)||2.2||1||4||4||3||1|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Lipscomb coach Kristin Ryman wants to refine her team’s hitting.
“We have to make sure we keep attacking,” Ryman said. “Hitting-wise we need to find that consistency again, but I still like what we are doing.”
They will get a test Wednesday when the Lady Bisons, 14-7-1, face Western Kentucky, 15-4, at 4 p.m. at Draper Diamond at Smith Stadium.
Both teams are coming off losses. Lipscomb lost 2-1 in 10 innings to Valparaiso Sunday in the last day of the Lady Bison Classic. Western Kentucky fell 2-1 to Kennesaw State from the ASUN and 2-1 to Wright State Sunday in the Bobbie Bailey Memorial Tournament at Kennesaw.
“We are practicing with a purpose in every drill to get prepared,” Ryman said. “Anytime we are doing a drill we have to have a lot of attention behind what we are working on. The more purpose we practice with the more prepared we are going to be.”
- The Hilltoppers are from Conference USA.
- Tommi Stowers leads Western Kentucky in hitting with a .435 average. Four players are batting above .300 – Kendall Smith (.385), Shannon Please (.357), Jordan Vorbrink (.308) and Jordan Thomas (.305).
- Smith is tops on the team in runs batted in with 15 and is the leader with four home runs.
- Plese has stolen 11 bases on 12 attempts.
- In the circle Kennedy Sullivan, 10-1, has posted a 2.22 earned run average with 104 strikeouts in 60 innings. Shelby Nunn, 2-0, has a 1.77 ERA.
- The Hilltoppers are 15-14 in the all-time series with Lipscomb.
- Khayla Green is tied for the career lead in walks with 83. She is tied with Kristin Sturdivant (2014) and Molly Mitchell (2012).
- Peyton Ward has 48 career steals. Her next one will tie her with Lauren Dortwegt for No. 2 all-time. Two more will make her only the second player in the NCAA Division I era to reach 50 stolen bases. Brittany Elmore is the all-time team leader.
- Graysen Gladden leads with 10 steals, second in the ASUN. Ward is tied for third with nine.
- Jordan Fortel is the top hitter with a .403 average, third in the ASUN. She leads the team with 18 RBI, which is tied for third in the conference.
- Hannah DeVault has 13 RBI.
- Five Lady Bisons are batting over .300 – Katie Turner (.385), Ward (.347), Destinee Brewer (.342), DeVault (.338) and Green (.321).
- Katie Turner is tied for second in the ASUN in wins with seven and is fifth with a 1.26 ERA.
The Lady Bisons play their last regular season tournament Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the Belmont Invitational at E.S. Rose Park. However, they will not play the host team.
The Lady Bisons play a doubleheader Friday against Illinois-Chicago. The first game is at 4:30 with the second scheduled to start at 7.
Saturday Lipscomb plays Purdue-Fort Wayne at 12:15 p.m. The two teams meet against Sunday at 11:15 a.m.
Monday at 5 p.m. the Lady Bisons return to Draper Diamond at Smith Stadium to face the University of Texas.