BLACKSBURG, Va. – The road trip through Virginia to the Lipscomb softball team’s first ASUN series of the season has a stop to make Wednesday.
The Lady Bisons open the ASUN portion of the season Saturday and Sunday against Liberty in Lynchburg, Virginia. But the first order of business for the Lady Bisons is a 5 p.m. meeting with Virginia Tech, 23-4 overall, from the Atlantic Coast Conference.
“We are going to be on the road for close to a full week and that presents some challenges,” Lipscomb coach Kristin Ryman said. “We really haven’t experienced this type of longer trip in a while.
“Virginia Tech is another opportunity for us to shock the world and knock off a really strong team. And in the process that will get us ready for Liberty.”
The Lady Bisons, 19-8-1, have played five games in the last six days. After winning four games in the Belmont Invitational they lost 5-0 Monday to No. 11-ranked Texas at Draper Diamond at Smith Stadium.
“I have said this a lot, but I feel this team is just poised and ready for conference play,” Ryman said. “And that is exactly what we want.
“We will be challenged in a big way by Virginia Tech. Our goal is to keep focusing on our process and finding ways to get better.”
SCOUTING VIRGINIA TECH
- Virginia Tech was scheduled to play a doubleheader against Binghamton Tuesday night.
- The Hokies are receiving votes for the Top 25 rankings.
- Virginia Tech is ranked No. 28 in the first Ratings Percentage Index (RPI for the 2019 season.
- The Hokies entered the week with the 10th highest batting average (.342).
- Darby Trull, batting .456, is 34th nationally and third in the ACC.
- Carrie Eberle leads the pitching staff with a 13-1 record.
- Lipscomb is ranked No. 52 in the first RPI rating for 2019, the highest ranking for an ASUN team. Florida Gulf Coast is next at No. 91 followed by North Florida at No. 95. Liberty is ranked 100th.
- Jordan Fortel is second in the ASUN with a .417 batting average.
- Fortel is first in the conference in runs batted in with 26. Hannah DeVault is second with 23.
- Katie Turner is tied for third in the ASUN in wins with eight and is fourth with a 1.78 earned run average.
- DeVault is third in the ASUN with five home runs.
- Peyton Ward is first with 13 stolen bases. Graysen Gladden is tied for fifth with 10.
- Mandy Jordan is third in strikeouts with 83.
The Lady Bisons will play ASUN newcomer Liberty this weekend. Saturday’s games will start at noon and 2 p.m. Sunday’s season finale begins at noon.