|April 02, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||R||H||E|
|Win: JORDAN (9-7)||3.2||2||1||1||1||2|
|Loss: Watson (7-10)||3.0||1||1||0||3||3|
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The week is already a little bit different for the Lipscomb Lady Bisons softball team.
Monday, instead of their normal day off, they went through a light practice in preparation for Tuesday’s 4 p.m. meeting with Louisville at Ulmer Stadium. The Cardinals, 22-12, are from the Atlantic Coast Conference. Lipscomb is 23-12-1.
“Louisville is going to be a good, tough opponent,” Lipscomb coach Kristin Ryman said. “We like that in our mid-week games.
“We want to keep the intensity rolling. I like for our team to stay challenged. It is another opportunity to knock off a good team.”
Wednesday is the normal day for a mid-week game, but the earlier meeting with Louisville was called off due to inclement weather. It was necessary to play on a Tuesday in order to get the game back on the schedule for each team.
“We are out of our routine for the week a little bit,” Ryman said. “We will take Wednesday off.
“It will give us another day to prepare for our conference games this weekend, Since we are on the road it will be good to have the extra time.”
- The Cardinals lost a 13-5 game at Virginia Tech (24/19) Sunday on the road to finish the series 1-2.
- Lipscomb has won back-to-back games. Louisville has lost its last two games.
- Four Louisville players are batting higher than .300 – Celene Funke and Rebecca Chung, both hitting .342; Sidney Melton (.339) and Megan Hensley (.307).
- Chung leads the Cardinals with 23 runs batted in followed by Melton and Hensley with 22 each.
- Funke has two home runs, five doubles and nine triples.
- Chung and Hensley each have three home runs.
- Taylor Roby has a 1.76 earned run average and a 6-1 record. Hensley is 9-2 with a 2.43 ERA.
- Louisville is 9-1 at home this season.
- The Lady Bisons lead the all-time series 3-1. Lipscomb won 3-1 at Draper Diamond at Smith Stadium last season and lost 4-1 in 2017 at Louisville.
- Lipscomb moves up to 50th in this week’s RPI. Liberty is ranked 62. North Florida at 80 and FGCU at 84 round out the top 100 teams from the conference. North Alabama is knocking on the door at 104.
- Hannah DeVault leads the ASUN in runs batted in with 34. Jordan Fortel is second with 31.
- Peyton Ward leads the conference in steals with 17. Graysen Gladden is fourth with 14.
- Fortel is second with a .411 batting average, one of only two players in the ASUN batting higher than .400.
- DeVault is tied for second in the conference in home runs with six.
The Lady Bisons head to Florida this weekend for an ASUN series with Jacksonville.
Saturday’s games start at noon and 2 p.m. CDT. Sunday’s game also has the first pitch at noon.