|April 06, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: JORDAN (10-7)||7.0||4||1||0||1||10|
|Loss: A BILODEAU (7-11)||7.0||5||3||2||4||3|
|April 06, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||R||H||E|
|Win: TURNER (9-2)||8.0||5||3||3||2||8|
|Loss: S MORA (4-9)||8.0||7||4||2||3||3|
|M BUSS (JU)||4||0||1||1||0||0|
|A GENEST (JU)||4||1||1||0||0||0|
|M KAUFMAN (JU)||2||1||1||0||1||0|
|H HOLLOWAY (JU)||2||1||1||2||0||0|
|April 07, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: YEAGER (3-1)||6.2||8||1||1||2||2|
|Loss: A BILODEAU (7-12)||3.1||4||2||2||0||2|
|HA ROBERTS (JU)||4||0||2||1||0||0|
|M KAUFMAN (JU)||2||0||2||0||1||0|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The old saying in baseball and softball has always been “a walk is as good as a hit”.
You can get arguments supporting and disputing that claim, but the fact remains a base runner is a base runner no matter how he or she gets on.
In the case of the Lipscomb Lady Bisons softball team walks have been as good as hits this season, making the difference whether they won or lost in games with Western Kentucky and Louisville.
Against Western Kentucky the Lady Bisons were out-hit 11-4 but won the game 9-7 with the help of nine walks. Lipscomb beat Louisville 5-4 in eight innings despite being out-hit 9-5. Ten Lady Bisons walked in the game.
This weekend the Lady Bisons, 24-12-1, 3-3 in the ASUN, head to Jacksonville, 13-23, 1-5 in the conference. A doubleheader starts Saturday at noon. The next game is scheduled for 2 p.m. Sunday’s game will begin at noon.
The Lady Bisons have walked 151 times so far this season. IN 2018 they walked 143 times for the season.
Lipscomb coach Kristin Ryman expects her players to continue to be disciplined at the plate.
“It is having an impact on our runs scored, our runs batted in and our stolen bases,” Ryman said. “We are batting .282 which is good, but our on base percentage is .381. That is allowing us to create opportunities for runs.”
Khayla Walker has 30 walks this season and is one away from 100 for her career. Jordan Fortel and Hannah DeVault have walked 20 times each. Peyton Ward has been issued 19 free passes.
“We spent a lot of time in the offseason working to be better in getting on base,” Ryman said. “We are putting more emphasis on our on base percentage than on batting averages.
“Everyone wants to talk about batting averages…whether they are good or bad. But we are emphasizing getting on base and we don’t care how our hitters get on base.”
- Jacksonville has lost seven games in a row, Lipscomb has won its last three.
- Kassidy Cross is the only Dolphin batting higher than .300. She is hitting .390 and leads the team in doubles with seven.
- Makenzie Buss, Hannah Roberts and Abby Genest each have five home runs.
- Genest leads the team in runs batted in with 19.
- Alyssa Bilodeau is the top pitcher with a 7-10 record and a 3.13 earned run average. She has pitched 141 innings and recorded 141 strikeouts.
- Seana Mora is 4-8 with a 3.54 ERA.
- Lipscomb leads the all-time series 26-13.
- Fortel leads the Lady Bisons in hitting with a .397 average. Also batting higher than .300 are Amy Vetula (.324), Katie Turner (.306) and DeVault (.304).
- DeVault leads the Lady Bisons with 35 RBI, 14 doubles and six home runs.
- Fortel is second with 31 RBI and five home runs.
- Mandy Jordan’s 5-4 win at Louisville in eight innings was the 50th of her career. She ranks fourth on the program’s all-time list for wins.
- Destinee Brewer has 44 career steals and is fourth on the school’s all-time list.
- Sarah Higgins is tied for eighth with 22 career home runs.
- Higgins is tied for seventh in career doubles with 33. DeVault has moved into 10th place with 28.
The Lady Bisons do not have a mid-week game scheduled.
They return to Draper Diamond at Smith Stadium April 13 for a doubleheader with ASUN newcomer North Alabama beginning at 1 p.m. The two will play the series finale Sunday at 1.