JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – It was a doubly good time for the Lipscomb Lady Bisons.
Back-to-back RBI-doubles from Jenna Pealor and Sarah Higgins in the fourth inning gave the Lady Bisons all the runs they would need in a 2-1 ASUN win over Jacksonville at the Pruitt Softball Complex Sunday afternoon.
The victory gave Lipscomb the sweep of the series, their first ASUN sweep of the season. The Lady Bisons, 27-12-1, 6-3 in the ASUN, have won their last six games. Jacksonville, 13-26, 1-8 in the conference, has lost 10 straight games.
“This is a tough conference,” Lipscomb coach Kristin Ryman said. “There is a lot to be said for going on the road and getting a sweep. It doesn’t happen very often.”
Chloe Yeager, 3-1, got the start for Lipscomb. In 6.2 innings she allowed eight hits, walked two, hit one batter and struck out two. She worked on a shutout until giving up a run on a double in the seventh.
Mandy Jordan relieved with two outs in the seventh and struck out the only batter she faced to earn the save.
“Chloe worked out of a lot of jams and did a tremendous job,” Ryman said. “We played good defense behind her.
“It won’t show in the box score, but we put Jenna Endris in to play first base in the fifth. She made some crucial plays late in the game.”
Alyssa Bilodeau, 7-12, pitched 3.1 innings and was tagged with the loss. She gave up four hits and hit one batter. She struck out two and did not walk anyone.
Seana Mora threw the final 3.2 innings. She scattered three hits, walked two and struck out two.
“I think these were three gritty games for us,” Ryman said. “I am really proud of the effort and fight.”
- Higgins led the way with two hits, her seventh multi-hit game. She also has reached base safely in her last seven games.
- The double by Higgins was the 34th of her career moving her into sole possession of seventh place on the school’s all-time list.
- Pealor has 10 doubles and Higgins has nine.
- Graysen Gladden stole a base for her 16th of the season.
- Hannah DeVault has reached base in her last nine games, the longest active streak on the team. She also has a six-game hitting streak, also the longest active streak.
- This was Jordan’s first save of the season.
The Lady Bisons will not be back in action until Saturday and Sunday when North Alabama, a new member of the ASUN, visits Draper Diamond at Smith Stadium.
Saturday’s games are at 1 and 3 p.m. Sunday’s game is scheduled for 1.