|October 03, 2014||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
WEISS - 6
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Lipscomb’s Sophie Kellerman prefers to play for wins rather than stats, but she was able to do both against USC Upstate.
Friday night the Lady Bisons Volleyball team swept Upstate 3-0 in an Atlantic Sun match. Kellerman was a statistical standout with 10 kills, 14 digs and a .500 hitting percentage. Both the digs and hitting percentage stats were match highs.
“Sophie played fantastic, but the stats alone don’t tell the whole story,” Lipscomb coach Brandon Rosenthal said. “The pace she was hitting the ball at was impressive. There were two or three balls that really jumped off of her hand.
“From what I can tell she felt like she was in rhythm. It was fun to watch. She just wants to go out and play her game. We need for her to continue to be an all-around threat.”
Right side Brittnay Estes made a match-high 11 kills and posted a .391 hitting percentage.
The scoring was spread evenly with outside hitter Lauren Ford adding nine kills and middle blocker Molly Spitznagle getting eight while posting a .278 hitting percentage.
“Because we really did a nice job of taking Upstate out of their rhythm and out of their system I am not sure we got as many chances as we probably would have liked,” Rosenthal said.
The set scores were 25-21, 25-16 and 25-19 in the first conference road match of the season for the Lady Bisons at the Hodge Center.
“We executed the game plan really well,” Rosenthal said. “It was nice to get a win like that and get on the road quicker than we expected.
“The girls have been working hard. It is fun to see when things start clicking in match like that. We are continuing to work to get better. This match showed what they are capable of doing.”
The Lady Bisons are 8-6, 2-0 in the conference. Upstate falls to 9-9, 0-2 in the A-Sun.
Brittany Thomas was also in double figures in digs with 10 for the Lady Bisons.
Libero Bri McCombs was credited with only four digs, the first match this season she has not finished in double figures. But Rosenthal stressed that McCombs stats were deceiving.
“The truth of the matter is we had to make some adjustments,” Rosenthal said. “With Upstate hitting balls into the net and out of bounds a lot there weren’t a lot of opportunities for digs.
“You might look at Bri’s stats and ask what happened? The truth of the matter is that we did what we were supposed to do. Bri had a great match.”
- The Lady Bisons are 13-0 overall against Upstate. In those 13 matches Upstate has only won a total of three sets.
- Kellerman’s double-double was her second of the season. She opened 2014 with a double-double against Creighton with 13 kills and 12 digs.
- This was her third time to have double figures in kills. In addition to Upstate and Creighton she made 10 against ETSU Sept. 13.
- Freshman Chloe Rogers made her first appearance of the season playing in the third set.
- Thomas has finished in double figures in digs in three of her last four matches.
- Kellerman’s .500 hitting percentage is both a season and career high.
- Four service aces were a match high, season high and a career high at Lipscomb for McCombs.
- The Lady Bisons made seven aces as a team.
“Early on in set one we established that (service aces) and kept it going throughout the match,” Rosenthal said.
The Lady Bisons travel to Georgia to face Kennesaw State Saturday at 2 p.m. The match will be televised on ESPN3.
The Lady Bisons are 14-0 overall against Kennesaw State, including three wins in 2013.