MACON, Ga. - Lipscomb's Jewell Dobson, Jacksonville's Mayara Prestes earned the opening set of Atlantic Sun Volleyball weekly honors, while USC Upstate's Madison Haake and Kennesaw State's Sydni Shelton shared the Freshman of the Week honors, announced by the league office on Monday.
Dobson, the 2013 A-Sun Player of the Year, marked her return from injury with tournament MVP honors at the Utah Classic. The senior tallied double-digit kills in all three Lady Bisons victories while hitting a combined .354.
Dobson hit .519 with 18 total kills in the opening match of the season. She finished the weekend with 14 kills, including two of the final three kills in a win over No. 23 Utah. It marks the first time in program history the Lady Bisons have opened 3-0.
Atlantic Sun Volleyball Player of the Week
Jewell Dobson, Lipscomb
Senior | Middle blocker
Shepherdsville, Ky. | Education
- Third Career Atlantic Sun Player of the Week honor
- Combined for 46 kills and 3.54 kills per set at season opening Utah Classic
- Tallied at least 14 kills in all three victories for the Lady Bisons
- Finished the weekend with a combined .354 hitting percentage
- Recorded two of final three kills in win over No. 23 Utah
- Named Utah Classic MVP
Lipscomb received 18 votes for the American Volleyball Association (AVCA) Top 25 poll.
They opened the season 3-0 for first time in program history including a win over then No. 23-rated Utah which fell out of the poll.