|August 26, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
Whipple - 13
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Behind 25 kills from Carlyle Nusbaum, the Lipscomb volleyball team dismantled #24 Arizona 3-1 in front of a raucous crowd inside Allen Arena Saturday night in the LUV Invitational.
The win was the first over a ranked team on Don Meyer Court in program history.
“The students were fantastic tonight,” Rosenthal said. “It was a fun atmosphere with a top-25 team in the house. It’s always good when you take down one of the top teams in the nation. Great night.”
The Bisons (2-1) came charging out of the gate on offense and threw up a stout defensive front to block four balls and take down the Wildcats 25-13 in the opening set.
“The block was fantastic,” Rosenthal said. “We came up with some key numbers down there. We decided not to sit back, we were going to go after them. It wasn’t our best, but everyone did their jobs and we played up to our potential.”
The second set was a knockdown, drag out fight that Lipscomb fended off four set points in a row from Arizona to eventually get the win at 31-29 in one of the most entertaining sets of the tournament. Nusbaum torched the Wildcats with 12 kills in the stanza.
“Coming into this game we knew Arizona was going to be tough,” Nusbaum said. “We had to play as a team and everyone had each other’s back.
“I’m not sure if we were tired this morning, but we had a lot of conversations with each other between games about what we needed from one another. It was a great all-around match.”
After the intermission Arizona (1-1) tried to crawl back into the match with a 25-20 win in the third set behind a .351 hitting percentage.
In the fourth and final set, the two teams swapped leads eight times before Lipscomb rallied from a deficit to storm back and fittingly secure the win with a 25-22 victory on a kill from Nusbaum.
- The win is the first for Lipscomb over a ranked team since knocking off #23 Utah in the opening weekend of 2015.
- Nusbaum hit .413 with 25 kills and six errors in 46 attacks. The junior also added eight digs and three assists for 27 points.
- Carli Anderson, Lauren Anderson and Chloe Rogers all recorded eight kills. Lauren also finished second on the team with 11 digs.
- Brittany Thomas led the Bisons with 12 digs.
- Morgan Elmore was credited with 25 assists, while Marcella Emmanuelli had 20.
- Chloe Rogers and Lauren Anderson were named to the LUV Invite All-Tournament team.
The Bisons will hit the road for the Buckeye state for the Sports Imports D.C. Koehl Classic hosted by Ohio State. They will play three matches beginning Friday, Sept. 1 against Oakland at 3:30 p.m. Lipscomb will then wrap the tourney the next day with a 10 a.m. match against Missouri State and an 8 p.m. contest with Ohio State.