|October 13, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
THOMAS - 8
|October 14, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb volleyball team will look to build some much needed momentum this weekend when the Bisons host a pair of crucial ASUN Conference matches at Allen Arena.
Lipscomb is set to take on NJIT at 6:30 p.m. Friday before turning around with USC Upstate on Saturday at 3 p.m.
Only Friday’s match with the Highlanders can be seen on ESPN3, with Justin Seamon and Lyndsay Rowley on the call. Live stats will be available for both.
Saturday, October 14
3 p.m. – USC Upstate
- Lipscomb leads the all-time series with NJIT 4-0. All four were sweeps.
- The Bisons are 19-0 all-time against Upstate, 10-0 at home. Fourteen of those matchups were sweeps.
- Upstate has taken a set from Lipscomb in only five meetings.
The Highlanders are 10-11 overall and 1-4 in ASUN play after taking down North Florida two weeks ago. They are coming off a sweep of Delaware State on Tuesday, 25-22, 25-18, 25-17.
NJIT ranks second in the ASUN in kills (832), digs (1139) and first in service aces (130).
Tess Albyn is third in conference play, averaging 3.85 kills/set and second in total kills with 77. Libero Adrianna Nieto is second in the league in digs (295) and digs/set (4.28).
Mikalah Hughes is hitting .437 over her last six outings, while racking up 54 kills in the process.
SCOUTING USC UPSTATE:
The Spartans bring a 5-13 overall record and a 2-3 mark in league action to Music City this weekend. They have dropped three of their last four matches with the lone win coming in a sweep of North Florida.
The team’s 37.36 attacks per set rank 43rd in the nation.
Lily Dempsey is second among ASUN freshman in kills/set at 2.58. Junior setter Madison Haake has notched three triple-doubles this season, tied for most in the NCAA.
In ASUN action, outside hitter Callie Yeargin is averaging 3.15 kills/set, while Kaleigh Kelley ranks fifth in the league in digs with 263. Her 1,401 career digs are 16th most in ASUN history.
- The Bisons are 21st in the country in assists per set (13.23), 32nd in aces per set (1.58) and 38th in kills per set (13.91).
- Carlyle Nusbaum leads the ASUN and ranks 12th nationally with 316 kills. Her 4.94 kills per set rank 4th.
- Nusbaum is averaging 19.25 kills, 3.26 kps while hitting .298 over her last four games.
- Maddie Phillips is hitting .333 in league play and is averaging 3.06 kills per set, which ranks fifth and eighth respectively in ASUN action.
- Lipscomb leads the conference in points per set (17.2) and is second in kills per set.
- Morgan Elmore is coming off a career high 47 assists versus Belmont.
- The Bisons have lost three league games in five outings this season. They had lost only three in their previous 34 conference matches prior.
- Lipscomb has recorded at least five service aces in 11 straight matches. Its 104 aces are second most in the ASUN.
Fans also keep in mind of the potential venue change to Ensworth High School for the match with Upstate. Check back around 11 a.m. Saturday on LipscombSports.com and @LipscombVBall on twitter for a confirmation.
Lipscomb is back in action next weekend at home when Kennesaw State visits Friday, Oct. 20 at 6:30 p.m. It’s the only match of the week for the Bisons.