|August 24, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
PHILLIPS - 10
PHILLIPS - 2
NUSBAUM - 11
|August 25, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||5th||Final|
NASHVILLE – After two strong weeks of fall camp, the Lipscomb volleyball team has now turned its attention to the regular season as the Bisons are set to kick off the 2018 season Friday with the 8th Annual Lipscomb Invitational at Allen Arena.
The Purple and Gold start the slate with a match against SMU at 6 p.m. Friday before taking on Iowa at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday. It will be the second consecutive season that the Bisons have opened the season at home after starting on the road in each of the previous 10 campaigns.
With just a three-team field, the only other match of the invite will be played Saturday at noon between Iowa and SMU.
Both of Lipscomb’s contests will be televised on ESPN+ with Justin Seamon and former Bison volleyballer Brittnay Estes on the call.
Live stats will be available for all three games and those links can be found HERE.
The Bisons concluded the 2017 season 16-13 overall and an 8-6 mark in ASUN Conference play. It was the fewest victories in a season for Lipscomb since winning 14 in 2006. The Bisons had won the previous two ASUN Tournament titles and made three straight trips to the NCAA Tournament.
Five starters return from last season’s squad, including two-time ASUN Player of the Year Carlyle Nusbaum. She notched 522 kills and finished fourth in Division I with 5.22 kills per set and 5.57 points per set. The Bisons also added three freshmen to the roster – Logan Gish, Alexis Triplett, Lanie Wagner.
The Mustangs went 21-11 last season, marking the fifth straight year with at least 20 wins. SMU advanced to the NIVC for a third consecutive postseason appearance. With a 15-5 record in the American Athletic Conference, SMU finished tied for second in the league. The Mustangs have been in the top two in each of the five seasons with two championships.
The Hawkeyes concluded the 2017 season with an 18-15 overall record and a 7-13 mark in Big Ten play. Iowa's 18 wins are the second most for the program since 1994. The Hawkeyes had 19 wins in 2016 and 24 victories in 1994.
Senior Taylor Louis became the first Hawkeye since 2001 to be named to the Preseason All-Big Ten. A transfer from Marquette, Louis was named to the AVCA All-East Coast Region Team, the All-BIG EAST first team, and was selected as an AVCA honorable mention All-American before transferring to Iowa in 2017.
Louis enters her senior season as the returning NCAA kill leader with 1,534 kills after registering 386 last season.
- It will be the first meeting in program history with both SMU and Iowa.
- Returning for their final season in Nashville alongside Nusbaum are Lauren Anderson, Carli Anderson, Marcella Emmanuelli and Ca’Layci Coffey.
- The Bisons also bring back junior Maddie Phillips, the 2016 ASUN All-Freshman honoree. She played in all 29 matches last season with 243 kills and a team-high .273 kill percentage.
- Junior setter Morgan Elmore returns as the team’s leading assister with 836 a season ago, an average of 8.36 per set. Emmanuelli was credited with 412 at 6.06 per set.
- Lauren Anderson started all 29 matches last season and finished third on the squad with 239 kills. Her 27 service aces was tops on the team.
- Phillips and Coffey were the top blockers in 2017, stuffing 79 and 78, respectively.
The Bisons will hit the road the next two weeks with tournaments in Tucson, Arizona and West Lafayette, Indiana. They will get back on the floor next Friday at noon against the University of Arizona before coming back that night to match up with Pacific at 6:30.