|September 11, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
NICHOLS - 6
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Lipscomb volleyball flexed its muscle early and often Tuesday in the Battle of the Boulevard as the Bisons dominated Belmont from beginning to end to sweep the Bruins, 3-0, in front of a raucous crowd inside Allen Arena.
The Bisons took the sets 25-11, 25-17, 25-10 and improved to 5-4 on the season.
“It’s always fun when you get to play your crosstown rival,” Lipscomb head coach Brandon Rosenthal said. “We controlled the match from start to finish and put up some fantastic numbers. We set the tone early and carried it all the way through.”
Senior Carlyle Nusbaum led the way once again for the purple and gold as she posted a match-high 19 kills and hit .452 with only five errors. Junior setter Morgan Elmore paced the team with 30 assists. She has now recorded at least 30 helpers in five straight matches.
“I thought Morgan Elmore did a really nice job tonight of managing the game and the situation,” Rosenthal said.
Belmont took the first two points of the match and then it was all Lipscomb. The Bisons recorded the next four points to grab a lead it would never relinquish, finishing the set on a 25-9 run. They held Belmont to a -.160 hitting percentage with only three kills on 25 attacks.
The second set was back and forth with both teams trading points until reaching 7-7 on the scoreboard.
A pair of aces and kills from Nusbaum and Ashley Maher powered a 7-1 Bison run to take a 14-8 lead and force Belmont to call timeout. Leading 23-17, Lipscomb got a block from Megan Kuper and Ca’Layci Coffey and then forced an attack error from the Bruins to capture the frame.
The third set was all Bisons as they hit a season-high .750 with 15 kills and no errors on just 20 attacks. After producing 10 kills in the second set, Nusbaum added a team-high six more in the third to secure the Battle of the Boulevard sweep.
- Lipscomb has now won seven straight meetings with Belmont, extending its series advantage to 16-4 in the Division I era.
- The Bisons are now 8-0 all-time against the Bruins at Allen Arena.
- It is also the seventh sweep in 20 meetings by Lipscomb.
- Coffey hit .545 and finished second on the team with seven kills. She led the Bisons with four blocks.
- Kuper added six kills, nine digs and two blocks.
- Lauren Anderson paced the squad with 11 digs. She also chipped in two kills and three assists.
- Lipscomb matched its season high with six service aces. It did so against SMU and Louisville.
- The Bisons outhit Belmont with a season high .367 to .034.
- Lipscomb notched 43 digs, compared to just 23 for the Bruins.
The Bisons hit the road for one final tournament before ASUN play begins September 18. They travel to Champaign, Illinois this weekend for the Illini Classic. They will play Northern Iowa, Creighton on Friday and then Illinois on Saturday.
“We understand what is ahead of us, it’s a tournament filled with top-25 teams,” Rosenthal said. “We are going into this weekend looking to compete. As we move into conference play next week, it is important to continue to push the envelope as far as what this team and program are capable of.”