|September 14, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
Thomas - 14
ANDERSON - 1
COFFEY - 1
RUBAL - 1
|September 14, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
EMMANUELLI - 1
KLOTH - 1
COLE - 1
COLE - 13
ANDERSON - 2
NUSBAUM - 2
COFFEY - 2
PHILLIPS - 2
COLE - 3
BALLENGER - 3
|September 15, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
Bastianelli - 2
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. – On a short week of practice, the Lipscomb volleyball team hits the road for what looks to be its toughest tournament of the season in the Illini Classic in Champaign, Illinois. This weekend will feature the final tune-ups for the Bisons before ASUN Conference action starts next week.
Lipscomb will open the two-day event at Huff Hall on Friday at 10 a.m. against Northern Iowa before returning to the court at 7 p.m. to take on No. 10 Creighton. The Bisons will then wrap up the weekend on Saturday at noon against host No. 8 Illinois.
All matches will provide live stats and a live video stream. The match with Illinois, however, will be streamed on BTN Plus and BTN2Go, which requires a paid subscription.
ILLINI CLASSIC SCHEDULE
The Bisons enter the weekend 5-4 on the year after going 2-2 this past week.
They started off with the Stacy Clark Classic in West Lafayette, Indiana where the Bisons went 1-2 with a sweep over Xavier on Saturday. They dropped the first two matches to Louisville (3-1) and No. 19 Purdue (3-0).
Senior Ca’Layci Coffey was named to the all-tournament team after hitting .365 with 23 kills and three blocks. She set a career high with 12 kills against the Musketeers.
On Tuesday, the Bisons recorded a second-consecutive sweep after whipping Belmont from beginning to end in the Battle of the Boulevard at Allen Arena. Lipscomb outhit the Bruins .367 to .034, recorded six aces and eight blocks. Belmont led for only five points the entire match.
SCOUTING NORTHERN IOWA
- UNI is 5-4 on the season with wins over then-ranked No. 5 Kentucky and No. 13 Creighton on the opening weekend of the season.
- Junior hitter Karlie Taylor is tops in the Missouri Valley Conference with 5.06 kills per set and also averages 2.58 digs.
- Senior blocker Piper Thomas is chipping in 3.21 kps and is hitting .295 to go along with her team-high 22 blocks.
- The Panthers are averaging 14.55 kills, 1.03 aces, 17.42 digs and 1.50 blocks per set.
- UNI finished 27-9 last season and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament where it lost to Minnesota.
- Creighton is ranked No. 10 in the AVCA p
- It brings a 6-3 overall record into the weekend after winning five of its last six matches. Its schedule to date has featured nine opponents that made a postseason appearance in 2017, including five national seeds.
- The Blue Jays have wins over No. 5 Kentucky, Iowa State and Wichita State, while the losses have come against Northern Iowa, No. 7 Nebraska and No. 10 USC.
- They are paced by three returning All-Americans: Jaali Winters, Taryn Kloth and Brittany Witt.
- Kloth leads the team with 151 kills and 4.31 per set. Winters, the reigning BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Week, is just behind at 139 and 3.97.
- Witt is producing a team-high 4.37 digs per set. All three were named Preseason All-BIG EAST.
- Creighton is averaging 13.91 kills, 1.09 aces, 16.46 digs and 2.41 blocks per set on .221 hitting.
- Illinois is one of eight teams still unbeaten in the nation at 8-0.
- Its No. 8 ranking marks the first time Illinois has been ranked in the top-10 since 2015.
- The Illini have wins over No. 13 Washington, No. 21 Colorado and No. 25 Colorado State.
- They are led by Jacqueline Quade who is averaging 4.14 kills per set and is hitting .327.
- Ali Bastianelli is averaging 2.10 kills and 1.38 blocks per set while swinging .412. She is the nation’s active leader in career blocks at 607 and blocks per set 1.58.
- Jordyn Poulter paces the squad in digs with 4.62 per set.
- Illinois is averaging 14.03 kills, 1.93 aces, 14.10 digs and 2.76 blocks per set on .302 hitting.
- Lipscomb leads the ASUN in assists per set (12.87) and is second in kills per set (13.55).
- Senior Carlyle Nusbaum is tops on the team with 136 kills and 4.39 kills per set. She has double figures in kills in each game this season.
- Megan Kuper is second on the squad with 73 kills. She registered a career high 14 against Purdue last weekend.
- Coffey paces Lipscomb with 27 blocks and is third in kills at 55. Fellow middle Maddie Phillips is just behind with 23 blocks and 55 kills.
- Lauren Anderson has a team-high 101 digs, while Ashley Maher is just behind with 94.
- Morgan Elmore is the team’s top setter with 277 assists.
- Lipscomb is averaging 13.55 kills, 12.87 assists, 1.10 aces, 13.61 digs and 1.94 blocks per set.
Lipscomb returns home Tuesday to open ASUN Conference action. They Bisons will kick things off at 6:30 p.m. against newest league foe, North Alabama. The match will be televised on ESPN3.