|September 22, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb volleyball team hits the road this weekend for its first ASUN Conference match away from Nashville when the Bisons travel to Newark, New Jersey to take on NJIT.
The Bisons and Highlanders are set to serve it up at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the NJIT Wellness and Events Center.
Live stats will be provided HERE.
The Bisons make the trek north with a 6-7 overall record and a 1-0 mark in conference play. After putting the preconference schedule behind them, the Bisons hosted North Alabama Tuesday in the first-ever ASUN match for the Lions.
Lipscomb jumped out to a big lead in the opening set and rode it all the way to a 3-0 (25-11, 25-20, 25-13) sweep.
The Bisons outhit the Lions .398 to .161 behind 20 kills from Carlyle Nusbaum and 14 from Megan Kuper.
- Lipscomb leads the all-time series with NJIT 6-0.
- All six meetings have been sweeps.
- The Bisons are 3-0 in Newark.
- The Highlanders enter the weekend 1-12 on the year after having lost their last eight matches. The only win was a 4-set victory over Delaware State.
- They will open ASUN play on Friday when Kennesaw State visits the Garden State.
- NJIT has one of the top defensive specialists in the league this season in senior Adriana Nieto. The Puerto Rico native is currently averaging 5.40 digs per set to lead the ASUN and rank 22nd in the NCAA.
- The Highlanders are last in the league hitting just .103, while their 492 kills rank eighth.
- Lipscomb ranks first in the ASUN in assists/set (12.60) and second in kills/set (13.55). In just one league match, those numbers jump to 18.00 kps and 17.00 aps.
- Carlyle Nusbaum is tied for first in the ASUN in total kills with 184, while her 4.28 kps is tops.
- Nusbaum earned her 5th double-double of the year on Tuesday against UNA with 20 kills and a season-high 14 digs. She led the team with a season high .500 hitting percentage.
- Morgan Elmore is second in the ASUN with 9.12 assists per set.
- Megan Kuper has broken out in a big way in her sophomore campaign. She is second on the team with 91 kills, 2.46 kps and 2.82 points per set.
- Kuper matched her career high against UNA with 14 kills. She also recorded at least eight digs in a match for the seventh time this season.
- Ca’Layci Coffey leads the squad with 32 blocks, while Maddie Phillips is just behind at 25.
The Bisons get to rest for a week before returning home to host North Florida (Sept. 28) and Stetson (Sept. 29). The matches are set for 6:30 p.m. and 2 p.m.