|October 07, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Lipscomb volleyball fell in four sets on the road at FGCU Sunday afternoon inside Alico Arena as the Eagles defended their home court, 3-1 (25-15, 24-26, 25-14, 25-16).
The loss was the first of the season for the Bisons in ASUN Conference action, falling to 10-8 and 5-1, while FGCU improved to 12-6 and 5-1.
Lipscomb had a hard time figuring out the Eagles for much of the day, leading only for a total of 11 points over the first, third and fourth sets. FGCU outhit the Bisons .325 to .146 and committed just 10 errors in 123 attacks.
Sunday’s outing marked the second in a row and the fifth time this season that Lipscomb had gone down 2-1 in a match. The Bisons are 2-3 in those contests.
In the second set, Lipscomb built its biggest lead of the match at 14-10 behind a trio of kills from seniors Carlyle Nusbaum and Ca’Layci Coffey. The Eagles responded with a 5-0 run to grab the advantage and set up a back-and-forth affair the rest of the way. FGCU held set point at 24-23, but it was the Bisons who took the next three points to win their only set, 26-24.
With 15, Nusbaum led a trio of Bisons with double-figure kills. Megan Kuper picked up her second-consecutive double-double with 11 kills and 12 digs, while Coffey added 10 kills and a team-high four blocks.
Morgan Elmore recorded 31 of the team’s 50 assists and Marcella Emmanuelli totaled 13.
- The Bisons and Eagles remain in a tie for second in the conference standings, one game behind leader Kennesaw State.
- Lauren Anderson scooped up a team-high 18 digs as she and Kuper were the only two with double figures.
- Nusbaum missed out on a sixth-consecutive double-double by one dig as she had nine.
- FGCU controlled the net with 17.0 blocks to just 5.0 for the Bisons.
- The loss halts a 5-match win streak for Lipscomb.
Lipscomb returns home for the first of three straight matches in Allen Arena as Jacksonville visits Music City next Saturday, Oct. 13 for a 2 p.m. first serve.