|October 19, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
NUSBAUM - 12
DUNGAN - 1
SOISTMAN - 1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Brandon Rosenthal wasn’t concerned with how his Lipscomb volleyball team would bounce back from a tough loss to Kennesaw State, but he admits he was anxious.
With only a short 45-minute practice separating the two matches the Bisons came out strong and swept NJIT 3-0 winning by scores of 25-11, 25-15 and 25-19 Friday night at Allen Arena.
“What we talked about was what is our response,” Rosenthal said. “We had a tough loss, but you have to be able to move forward. This particular team wants to grow and get better with each experience.
“Ultimately, it is how do we get better? I love what the girls did. We have done a lot of talking the past couple of weeks. We are at the point where we know what we have to do. That comes from them, not me.”
The Bisons are 12-9 overall, 8-1 in the ASUN. NJIT falls to 4-20, 2-7 in the league.
“We knew what we are capable of doing,” Rosenthal said. “It was a lot of fun to see.
“These girls are very talented. Our focus is what we are doing on our side of the net.”
Lipscomb’s Ca’Layci Coffey tied for the match high with 12 kills. NJIT’s Madi Busler also tallied a dozen.
Carlyle Nusbaum and Lauren Anderson each posted a match high 12 digs for the Bisons.
“Ca’Layci’s confidence is continuing to grow,” Rosenthal said. “With 12 kills, one error, 16 attempts and six blocks it was a great night for her.
“Better defense drives Carlyle’s offense. L.A. had a really good match. Her numbers show it, but she controlled the back row and that was the best part.”
- Coffey has finished in double figures in kills in the last four matches in a row. She has been in double figures in kills in seven matches this season.
- Nusbaum’s three service aces were a season high.
- Coffey’s .733 hitting percentage was her second highest of the year. She hit .800 against Xavier earlier in the season.
- Lauren Anderson was in double figures in digs for the 13th time this season.
- Lipscomb extended its perfect overall record against NJIT to 8-0. The Bisons are 4-0 at home against the Highlanders. They swept the season series with NJIT after winning 3-1 on the road.
- The Bisons are 8-1 at home with seven of the eight matches ending in sweeps.
- Freshman Logan Gish logged her 10th kill of the season.
- The Bisons played 14 players in the match.
The Bisons become road warriors for their next three games. They visit North Alabama at 7 p.m. Tuesday and then make visits to Stetson and North Florida.