|October 26, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
JIN - 5
DEISA - 5
DELAND, Fla. – Lauren Anderson reached a career milestone and the Lipscomb volleyball team continued to keep pace in the ASUN race with another road win.
After battling to a 31-29 win in set one, the Bisons took set two 25-14 and set three 25-10 Friday night over Stetson.
Lipscomb is 14-9, 9-2 in the ASUN. Stetson falls to 12-10, 4-6 in the conference.
“We made too many errors in set one, obviously,” Lipscomb coach Brandon Rosenthal said. “A couple of them came at crucial points. It becomes one of those things where we found a way to win.
“It was good at this time of the year to be challenged like that. Some of it was our own doing. We needed to settle in and focus on what we were doing on our side of the court.”
Rosenthal liked the pressure his players put on the Hatters in both serve-receive and defense, especially in the last two sets.
“I thought we passed extremely well and I thought our defense was really sharp,” Rosenthal said. “We scored a lot out of our defense.
“Of 81 possible points we earned 71 of them tonight. That is a huge number. It takes a lot of discipline and focus to do that.”
Lauren Anderson needed 15 digs to reach 1,000 for her career entering the match. She finished with 18.
“Not many players can do that,” Rosenthal said. “We were aware she was getting close. We hadn’t talked with her about it, but she knew she was close.”
Three Bisons finished in double figures in kills. Carlyle Nusbaum led the way with 18 followed by Logan Gish with a career-high 12 and Ca’Layci Coffey with 11.
“I’m really pleased with Logan’s growth and development,” Rosenthal said. “To have another outside that can put up numbers like that is huge.
“Carlyle found her rhythm from the beginning. She was ready to go.”
Anderson led the Bisons in digs while Nusbaum added 13.
Stetson’s Chelcie Spence was the match leader in digs with 20.
“The girls are doing a nice job,” Rosenthal said. “I think the biggest compliment I can give this group is they continue to find ways to get better.”
- Lipscomb swept the season series with the Hatters. The Bisons are 23-1 overall in the series with Stetson.
- The 31-29 set one win marked the third time Lipscomb has scored 30 or more in a set. They won 31-29 over Kennesaw State and 30-28 over Louisville.
- Coffey has recorded double digits in kills in six straight matches. She also has a team high 64 blocks on the year.
- Nusbaum recorded her 12th double-double of the season.
- Lauren Anderson made 18 digs for the fourth time this season. Her season high is 19 at Liberty.
- Megan Kuper has seven service aces in her last two matches.
- Stetson gave Lipscomb a game ball to be presented to Lauren Anderson.
The Bisons are in Florida Saturday for a 5 p.m. match with North Florida in Jacksonville. Lipscomb beat the Ospreys 3-1 at Allen Arena earlier this season.