|August 31, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
- 9||Kills||Julia Adams
- 23||Assists||Irem Ucar
Sullivan - 1
Berklie Baker - 2
- 7||Digs||Katie Clark
Berklie Baker - 5
Rubal - 2
Phillips - 2
Joiner - 2
FORT WORTH, Texas – The Lipscomb volleyball team closed out the Cowtown Classic Saturday afternoon with a 3-0 loss to host TCU inside the University Recreation Center in Fort Worth, Texas.
The Horned Frogs took the sets by scores of 25-16, 25-19 and 25-19. They improved to 2-0 on the young season while the Bisons dropped to 0-3.
"I thought our girls did a nice job throughout the weekend as we saw even more progressions today, despite the result not showing it," head coach Brandon Rosenthal said. "I loved the grit we showed and how we battled back at times. It's a tough challenge for us at this point becasue some of the youth we have are getting their first experience.
"I love the intensity and passion that the team is playing with, and I think moving forward it will bode well for us."
Sophomore Lanie Wagner paced the attack with nine of the team’s 31 kills. Garrett Joiner added seven kills and two blocks. Senior setter Morgan Elmore produced 23 assists and a team-high seven digs.
"Today we saw some good things from our outsides, especially the way they competed when we needed some points," Rosenthal said.
TCU controlled the match on both sides of the net. On offense the Horned Frogs outhit the Bisons .397 to .134 and committed half as many attack errors. Lipscomb had trouble at the net where TCU blocked 11 balls and forced the Bisons into 20 hitting errors.
The home team quickly jumped on the Bisons out of the gate in set one and built a double-digit lead at 18-8. Lipscomb dug in and put together an 8-4 run to trim the deficit, but TCU was able to close out the victory, 25-16.
In game two after trailing 11-7, Lipscomb got kills from Wagner and Maddie Phillips, and followed it up with an ace from Megan Sullivan to pull even. The Horned Frogs pulled ahead with a pair of mini runs and never let the Bisons any closer than two points the rest of the way en route to taking the set, 25-19.
The third frame saw TCU on fire to begin play, quickly taking an 18-7 advantage. The Bisons stampeded their way back into the set with a 10-3 run and forced the Horned Frogs to call both of their timeouts. A kill from Lauren Myrick trimmed TCU’s lead to 22-18 out of the break to make things interesting, but the home team finished it off 25-19 for the match victory.
- The Bisons start a season 0-3 for the first time since 2012 when they lost to Long Beach State, No. 13 Kentucky and North Carolina.
- Lipscomb committed 40 errors between its attack and service, while TCU totaled just 21.
- TCU gave the Bisons fits on the block all day. Their starting middles combined for 11 blocks and 10 kills. Four different Horned Frogs totaled at least four blocks on the day.
- Lipscomb blocked just five balls as a team with Joiner, Sami Rubal, Elmore and Phillips each getting their hands on a pair.
- This weekend marks just the third time in the program’s NCAA era that the Bisons played a three-game weekend without earning a point. (2018 and 2006).
The Bisons are back in action Thursday, Sept. 5 in Atlanta when they open up the Hyatt Regency Invitational against host Georgia Tech at 6 p.m. CT. They will also take on IUPUI at 10 a.m. Friday.