|September 06, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||5th||Final|
ATLANTA, Ga. – Behind a gritty performance Friday, the Lipscomb volleyball team came from behind in five sets to knock off the IUPUI Jaguars, 3-2, at the O’Keefe Gymnasium in the Hyatt Regency Invitational.
It is the first win of the season for a Bisons squad that is now 1-4.
Powered by a 15-kill morning from Lanie Wagner, the Bisons rebounded down 2-1 by winning the fourth and fifth sets to earn the victory and wrap up the weekend’s action in Atlanta.
The Bisons came out firing to win the opening set, 25-21, before the Jaguars turned around and took the second frame by the same score, 25-21. IUPUI held off a late Lipscomb rally in the third set to win 26-24 to go up 2-1 in the match. The Bisons dominated the fourth frame 25-19 and then had to come from behind in the fifth, 15-12, to earn the victory as Logan Gish hammered home the winning kill.
“Today was a great example of what this team is capable of as there were numerous times we could have counted ourselves out,” head coach Brandon Rosenthal said. “In the end our girls stayed the course and found a way to win.
“There were multiple times we had to call upon a number of players to get us out of a jam. There at the end, Logan Gish was able to do just that and on her birthday.”
Behind Wagner’s career high-tying kill effort, Maddie Phillips also had a big match with 12 kills and six blocks while hitting a team-best .458.
“Lanie had a good match. I told her she needed to be confident with her swing and go for it,” Rosenthal said. “Maddie was fantastic. She really brought it today with huge plays offensively and defensively.”
Freshman Lauren Myrick made her second straight start and recorded her first career double-double with 11 kills and 11 digs.
“You saw Lauren Myrick get two starts this weekend and she did a great job of filling in, especially as a freshman and on short notice,” Rosenthal said. “She is one of those players who knows how to compete and gives her all.”
Junior middle Sami Rubal nearly missed a double-double of her own with nine kills and a team-high seven blocks.
Morgan Elmore dished out a team-leading 51 assists, while Alyssa Zwolensky dug out 22 balls from the back row.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lipscomb jumped out to an early 5-1 lead, but the Jaguars went on a run to grab a 17-15 lead and force the Bisons first timeout. From there, the Purple and Gold got three kills and a pair of blocks from Rubal to close the frame on a 10-4 run and take a 25-21 win.
- The second set saw both squads put together a four-point run early and play to a 10-9 Lipscomb lead. The Jaguars took advantage of back-to-back Bison errors and put together a 9-1 run to force Rosenthal to call both of his timeouts with IUPUI leading 18-11. The Bisons got it back to within three on an ace from Megan Sullivan, but IUPUI picked up the 25-21 win.
- Lipscomb got out to an early 12-11 lead over the Jaguars, but IUPUI battled back to take a 22-17 lead following three kills and an ace. The Bisons fought to even the set with five consecutive point and extend play, but out of an IUPUI timeout, the Jaguars got kills from Haley Hoffman and McKayla Wright to win, 26-24.
- With their backs against the wall, the Bisons controlled the fourth frame from the get go on an IUPUI service error. They hit a match-high .321 in the set with 13 total kills and dominated on both sides of the net. Phillips notched four kills in the frame, including the final swing to win 25-19.
- It was the Jaguars who got out to an early 4-0 lead in the fifth set, but following a timeout, the Bisons won the next five points and took the lead. Wagner caught fire and recorded six consecutive kills to help Lipscomb to an 11-8 advantage. The Jaguars responded with another run that put the Bisons in a 12-11 hole, where they had to call their final timeout. Out of the break, Lipscomb pounced on the Jaguars and Gish finished off the set and match, 15-12.
“The biggest thing right now is our confidence and belief,” Rosenthal said. “We have a very talented team and they showed a tremendous amount of fight today.
“Look at the fifth set where we are up 11-8 and then go down 12-11 and having to call our last timeout where everyone understood what had to happen after that meeting. I am so proud.”
- Lipscomb hit a season-high .188 in the win. IUPUI swung .189.
- The Bisons totaled a season-high 13.0 blocks, with Rubal leading the way with seven. Six players had at least three.
- Gish was credited with four kills and two digs on her birthday.
- Ashley Maher led the team with a pair of aces to go along with 10 digs.
The Bisons will now return to town and face Belmont at the Curb Event Center on Tuesday at 6 p.m. They will then host the LUV Invite on Friday and Saturday.