|March 11, 2014||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.280 (21-75)||.532 (33-62)|
|3P FG Percentage||.222 (6-27)||.538 (14-26)|
|FT Percentage||.833 (5-6)||.706 (12-17)|
BLISS - 2
HANSEN - 2
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Lipscomb women’s basketball team begins postseason play Tuesday, as the eighth-seeded Lady Bisons are set to take on top-seeded Florida Gulf Coast in the quarterfinals of the 2014 Atlantic Sun Conference Women’s Basketball Championship.
The 6 p.m. CT contest at Alico Arena will air on ESPN3.
The eight-team tournament is being hosted around the league at the campus venue of the higher seed in the opening round in a change from the format in 2013 that saw one location for the entire event. The semifinals and championship game will be played at the highest-seeded team remaining after Tuesday.
A win on Tuesday night for the Lady Bisons would mean a Saturday trip to the semifinals to face No. 4 seed Mercer or No. 5 seed Jacksonville at a location to be determined.
- Ashley Southern and Chandler Cooper were both honored on Monday by the conference. Southern was named to the Atlantic Sun Second Team All-Conference, along with also being named the A-Sun Newcomer of the Year. Cooper was named to the Atlantic Sun Conference All-Freshman Team.
- Southern is the league’s second-leading scorer at 15.9 per game and the A-Sun’s top rebounder at 11.3 per contest. Cooper is the third-leading scorer on the team averaging 14.4 points per and three made 3-pointers per contest.
- The Lady Bisons are making their first tournament appearance since the 2010-11 season. That year, Lipscomb also was the No. 8 seed and lost to No. 1 ETSU 83-75 in Macon, Ga.
- Lipscomb has never beaten FGCU in the NCAA era, (0-13). The Eagles took an 85-67 victory in Nashville on Jan. 30, then won again in Fort Myers less than two weeks ago 108-67 on Feb. 27.
- Danay Fothergill enters the contest as the A-Sun’s top scorer, pouring in 18.2 points per game. She has three 30-plus point games this season to lead the league. She is second in the A-Sun with seven 20-plus point games. She is averaging 16 points, 4.5 rebounds in 33 minutes of play against FGCU. She has drained 14-of-16 from the charity stripe in the two meetings.
- Southern has 21 double-doubles on the year to lead the A-Sun. Her nine 20-plus point games is tied for the most in the conference. She is averaging 12 points and 10 rebounds against the Eagles this season.