|November 19, 2014||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||UAB|
|FG Percentage||.323 (21-65)||.489 (23-47)|
|3P FG Percentage||.235 (4-17)||.318 (7-22)|
|FT Percentage||.800 (8-10)||.704 (19-27)|
BLACK - 3
SMITH - 1
WEBB - 1
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Ashley Southern led the Lady Bisons with 17 points as the Lipscomb women’s basketball team fell 72-54 to UAB Wednesday night.
“We had too many breakdowns,” said Lipscomb head coach Greg Brown. “We didn’t do anything we weren’t prepared to do. We just inconsistently carried it out.
“Offensively we had some good looks at the basket, we just didn’t knock some of the shots down. Defensively we gave them too many shots inside. We just didn’t maintain position enough defensively.”
The Lady Bisons kept the deficit in single digits through the first half until the 2:23 mark when Bianca Dufelmeier knocked in a three-pointer that boosted the UAB lead to 31-21.
The Blazers went into halftime with a 33-23 lead after seeing a jumper by UAB’s Chelsee Black followed by one from Southern with just four seconds left.
After the intermission, Lipscomb tried to make stops to UAB’s roaring offense, but had no such luck as the Blazers continued to sink shots expanding the difference to as much as 19 points on multiple occasions.
Southern came close to securing a double-double for the first time this season, but was just one rebound short. She also made three assists.
“Ashley did well,” Brown said. “She had some good clean looks and looked more aggressive tonight. We just have a long way to go defensively. We just have to work on angles at the post and things like that before we play TSU.”
Janae Smith proved to be a force for the Blazers sinking 12 field goals and making all seven free throws attempted tallying 31 points.
“The coaches talk about it all the time, maintain your discipline and take your system with you and that’s what we will emphasize Friday and Saturday,” Brown said. “Just do what we know to do and do it as well as we can possibly do it every single time.
“What we learned from this game is when we did do things like we talked about and like we practiced, we got good stops and good looks at the basket.”
Lipscomb falls to 1-2 on the season while UAB advances to 1-1.
- The Lady Bisons had trouble connecting with the net from the field only shooting 32.3 percent on field goals. The team shot 80.0 percent from the charity stripe.
- Southern was 6-for-19 from the floor and 5-for-6 on free throws. She also made two blocks.
- Wednesday was the third-ever meeting between the two teams. UAB holds the series advantage 3-0.
- Senior Sara Bliss tied her career high in steals picking up three. She made three steals against Jacksonville back in January.
- Lipscomb may have been out-rebounded by UAB 33-23 on the defensive end, but the Lady Bisons made 13 offensive rebounds while the Blazers only had five.
Up Next: The Purple and Gold return home Saturday Nov. 22 to host Tennessee State at 4 p.m. inside Allen Arena.