|January 10, 2015||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||NKU||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.431 (25-58)||.390 (23-59)|
|3P FG Percentage||.333 (8-24)||.333 (12-36)|
|FT Percentage||.852 (23-27)||.923 (12-13)|
COOPER - 3
EUBANK - 3
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb women’s basketball team lost its first Atlantic Sun matchup of the season 81-70 against Northern Kentucky Saturday afternoon in Allen Arena.
The Lady Bisons (5-10, 0-1) cut the deficit to 65-60 with less than five minutes remaining, but that was as close as Lipscomb would get to erasing the Norse lead. The Norse are now 10-6, 1-0 in the conference.
“We did a lot of things well,” Lipscomb head coach Greg Brown said. “We obviously didn’t get enough stops at the end of the game and in the second half. That’s where we’ve got to get better at, getting those key stops, controlling penetration and controlling the post feeds.”
“We’ll work on those. We’ve got a great opportunity to go to Upstate. It’s a long season, so we’re excited.”
Lipscomb’s second-half surge was sparked by sharpshooters Danay Fothergill and Chandler Cooper who finished a combined 9-21 from three-point range. The Lady Bisons finished 12-36 from three as a team, 8 of which came in the second half.
“We want to take good shoots, and the best way to do that is inside-out,” Brown said. “They were obviously going to collapse on penetration. They were collapsing on Ashley (Southern). That’s when we are at our best is when we go inside-out.”
Fothergill scored 21 points on 8-13 shooting, including 5-10 from behind the arc, to lead the Lady Bisons in scoring. The performance was the junior’s second game in a row with 20 or more points and her second of the season. Fothergill also grabbed six rebounds.
“I thought Danay played very poised.” Brown said, “She showed excellent leadership, didn’t force stuff, let stuff come to her, knocked down open shots and got to the free throw line.”
Cooper, a sophomore, added 12 points to go along with five rebounds and three assists. Junior Ashley Southern was one point short of a double-double. She finished with nine points and a team-high 13 rebounds.
Sara Bliss, Lipscomb’s lone senior, also notched a double-digit scoring mark with 10 points.
- Lipscomb’s 12 three-point field goals matched their total against Tennessee Tech on Dec. 18, which is the second most for the season behind the 15 scored against Trevecca on Jan. 5.
- The Lady Bisons finished the game 12-13 from the free throw line for a percentage of .923, the second highest mark of the season.
- Emily Eubank extended her streak of three or more assists to 10 games with the three she dished out in the game.
- Ashley Southern led the Lady Bisons in rebounding for the 11th consecutive contest. She finished the game with a season-high 13 rebounds.
- Three players finished in double-figures for the Lady Bisons for the third game this season. The team’s record is 1-2 in those contests.
- Freshman Lauren Cagle set a new career-best for free throws made and attempted after going 4-4 in the game.
UP NEXT: The Lady Bisons will continue conference play Wednesday, Jan. 14 at USC Upstate at 6 p.m. and on Saturday, Jan. 17 at home against Kennesaw State at 4 p.m.