Lady Bisons close out season with 4-0 loss at Belmont
Saturday, October 23, 2010
Lady Bisons close out season with 4-0 loss at Belmont

Short-handed and battered by injuries.

That was the story of the Lipscomb Lady Bisons 4-0 loss to Belmont Saturday afternoon at the Whitten Soccer Complex in Atlantic Sun Conference play. The Lady Bisons closed out the season with a 4-14 record overall, 0-10 in the conference. Belmont is 5-11, 4-6 in the A-Sun.

The Lady Bisons defense was depleted as the game progressed. Kameron Stilwell left early in the first half and did not return. She was transported to a hospital for tests. Defender Katie Woods left the game and did not return for the second half due to not feeling well. Forward Emily Longden was hurt and didn’t play the second half.

“It sums up the season,” Ireland said. “It is beyond frustrating.

“It’s the way the season started. We had so many injuries. It’s funny that this is also the way it ended.”

To add to the depth issues Lady Bisons midfielder Tatjana Shirley was given a red card at the 54:56 mark in the second half. The Lady Bisons played the final 35:44 a player short.

“Tatjana is one of our best player,” Ireland said. “She got a red card on a questionable play.

“Katie and Kameron are two our best players. We had players in different positions because we had to make some moves to finish the game.”

The Lady Bisons held Belmont to one goal until approximately the final eight minutes. The Bruins scored three goals during that span to ice the “Battle of the Boulevard” meeting.

Erin Zerio made 14 saves in the game for the Lady Bisons. Belmont attempted 27 shots including 18 shots on goal. The Lady Bisons had a shot on goal by Shirley and one by Martika Powe. They only had four total shot attempts.

“Erin played very well,” Ireland said. “She came off of the line very well. She did the things we have been asking her to do.”

Ireland stresses that even more frustrating than losing is that his players have nothing to show for their improvement and hard work this season.

“We fought really hard, even with a player down, for most of the second half,” Ireland said. “We hung in there until the final eight minutes.

“We have to work hard next year to get more depth just in case something like this happens again. I’ve never had this many problems as a player or a coach.”

Written by Mark McGee, Senior Publisher/Director of Media Relations.