NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Coming off its sixth shutout of the season, the Lipscomb women’s soccer team will pack up and head to Arizona to take on the University of Arizona and Grand Canyon University this weekend.
The Purple and Gold, 5-3-1, are coming off a notable Sunday night victory over Samford defeating the Bulldogs 2-0 at home.
Sophomore Ellen Lundy scored the two goals for the Lady Bisons. The team outshot Samford 15 to eight with nine of Lipscomb’s shots on goal.
The Lady Bisons kick off weekend action at Arizona Friday Sept. 19 at 9 p.m. CT before traveling to Phoenix to face GCU at 3 p.m. CT.
Scouting the Wildcats:
Led by freshman Gabi Stoian, the Arizona Wildcats, 4-1-1, have posted 110 shots and 13 goals on the season.
Stoian leads the PAC 12 Conference in goals per game (1.000) and points per game (2.50) ranking her 10th and sixth in the nation respectively.
The Wildcats rank fifth in the PAC 12 for shots and goals per game with 2.17.
Scouting the Lopes:
GCU, 0-5-1, is chasing its first victory of the season. The team is on a three-game losing streak after suffering losses from Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, and South Dakota.
GCU sophomore forward Maria Monterroso leads the Lopes with three goals and six shots on goal. She is tied for third in the Western Athletic Conference in goals per game with 0.50.
- The Lady Bisons ranked in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America Southeast poll for the first time in program history, announced Tuesday.
- The match-ups with Arizona and GCU are Lipscomb’s first-ever matches with the teams.
- Lipscomb leads the Atlantic Sun Conference in shots with 121 as well as goals making 15.
- Sophomore Ellen Lundy leads the Purple and Gold with 15 shots and four goals. Lundy and Alesondra Colbert are tied for shots on goal with seven.
- Lundy is in a three-way tie for most points in the conference with eight.
- Sophomore goalie Anna Buhigas sits atop the A-Sun with a goals against-average of 0.53. She also ranks third in the conference for saves (33), goals against (5), and save percentage (.868).
- Buhigas’s goals against average and save percentage are also ranked 37th and 32nd in the nation respectively.
- The team sits in sixth place nationally in shutout percentage (0.667) shutting out six of eight teams played this season.