PHOENIX – The Lipscomb women’s soccer team wrapped up preconference competition Sunday afternoon securing a 1-0 victory over Grand Canyon University.
"It was a great result today in some tough conditions,” said Lipscomb head women’s soccer coach Kevin O’Brien. “I thought our teams conditioning was superior and it enabled us to be the stronger side from start to finish."
Both teams fought vigorously through difficult weather conditions ultimately entering halftime with a 0-0 score.
"We created some fantastic chances today, but unfortunately we lacked that final bit of quality to take the score line higher,” O’Brien said.
Senior Baylee Linnell brought the long-standing tie to an end in the 78th minute. She found the net after a cross from Natalie DuBoise allowing for a clear shot over GCU’s goalie who dove for the save.
"Our goal was extra special because we talked to our forwards about being more combative as our first line of defense,” O’Brien said. “Natalie Duboise did exactly what we were asking and created the goal from her pressure.
“Furthermore, her decision to square the ball to Baylee was spot on. Many forwards would have been selfish and taken the shot themselves, but not Natalie. She's a great team player."
The Purple and Gold outshot GCU with 16 shots and eight landing on goal. GCU attempted 15 shots seeing six on goal.
Sophomore goalie Anna Buhigas added another win to her record. Now 6-4-1, she played all 90 minutes and collected six saves.
With the win over GCU, the team has claimed seven shutouts breaking the school record for most shutouts in a season.
“I’m so thrilled for the team,” O’Brien said. “The players have really bought in to the concept of being hard to break down, and I'm glad it's paying dividends."
The Lady Bisons improve to 6-4-1 on the season while the Lopes fall to 1-6-1.
- The match-up was the first-ever meeting between the Lady Bisons and the Lopes. Lipscomb took the series lead 1-0.
- Making her first start after suffering a hamstring injury before the match with Samford last weekend, Linnell scored her second goal of the year against GCU.
- Sophomore Ellen Lundy led the team in shots taking four with one being on goal. Junior Anna Lail attempted three shots with two landing on goal.
- Lipscomb left Phoenix taking no corner kicks while GCU only took two.
- GCU’s Cassie Beckwith received the only yellow card of the game in the 26th minute.
- The Purple and Gold have recorded 141 shots and 17 goals for the year.
Up Next: Lipscomb begins a three-game homestand with a match against Kennesaw State Saturday Sept. 27 at 7 p.m. at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex. The team goes on to host North Florida Friday Oct. 3 and Jacksonville Sunday Oct. 5.