NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Looking to extend its two-game winning streak, the Lipscomb women’s soccer team faces a full weekend of competition hosting North Florida Friday night and Jacksonville Sunday afternoon.
The Lady Bisons, 7-4-1, 1-0 in the conference, are coming off a 3-0 victory over Kennesaw State in the team’s first conference match of the season.
Freshman Jade Abarca scored the game-winning goal as well as her first career goal for the Purple and Gold Saturday night. Senior Baylee Linnell also contributed one goal in the victory over the Owls.
Sophomore Carolyn Springsteen scored the third and final goal for Lipscomb earning her the Atlantic Sun Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season.
With the win over Kennesaw, Lipscomb added to its streak of record-breaking performances increasing the record for most shutouts in a season to eight as well as breaking the record for most wins in a season with seven.
Lipscomb goalie Anna Buhigas continues to lead the conference with a GAA of 0.67. She ranks second in goals against (8) and save percentage (.855). Her save percentage also ranks 34th in the nation.
Scouting the Ospreys:
The Ospreys enjoyed a 2-1 victory over Davidson University Sunday recording 13 shots, two assists, and three saves.
North Florida fell 3-0 in the first conference match of the year against Florida Gulf Coast dropping to 2-9 overall and 0-1 in the A-Sun.
Kayla Aritt and Kayla Gray lead the Ospreys in goals with two each this season. Jill Holdsworth leads the team in shots with 17 locking in six on goal.
Goalie Megan Dorsey has 59 saves this season ranking 23rd nationally. She claims a save percentage of .728 and a GAA of 1.95.
Scouting the Dolphins:
Jacksonville is pursuing its third straight victory after recording wins over Georgia Southern 2-0 and Stetson 2-1.
The Dolphins are 7-4-1 overall, 1-0 in the conference leading the A-Sun in shots with 164.
Sope Akindojo ranks fourth in the conference taking 27 shots while goalie Sarah Sierra sits atop the A-Sun goalies in saves (63) and save percentage (.863). Sierra’s GAA of 0.83 ranks third in the conference.
Sierra is ranked 14th in the nation collecting 63 total saves. Her save percentage of 0.863 ranks 30th in the nation.
Along with Kaitlyn Bassett and Marie Weckhurst, Akindojo leads the Dolphins in goals with three apiece.
- The Lady Bisons are 3-6-1 all-time against North Florida and are winless against Jacksonville (0-11).
- Sporting a 0.667, Lipscomb ranks 13th in the nation in shutout percentage.
- Sophomore Ellen Lundy leads the team with eight points, four goals, 19 shots, eight shots on goal, and two game-winning goals.
- Linnell is ranked fourth in the A-Sun for most career points (40) while Lundy is ranked fifth (39).
- Buhigas’s single season GAA is ranked eighth in the conference and is tied with Campbell’s Angela Pearia who etched her name into the record book in 1995.
- The Purple and Gold rank second in the A-Sun for shots (154) and goals (20).
- Lipscomb has outscored all opponents 20-8 this season.