NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb women’s soccer team enjoyed a 1-0 victory over the reigning Atlantic Sun champions Jacksonville Sunday afternoon at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
“It was a great game today,” said Lipscomb head women’s soccer coach Kevin O’Brien. “I thought for the Lipscomb Bisons, we played arguably our best half of the season in the first half.
“We moved the ball well and created some great scoring chances. I’m just really proud of the style we played.”
The Lady Bisons delved into several shot opportunities in the first half attempting 13 shots to Jacksonville’s four. The score remained 0-0 throughout much of the period.
With the minutes winding down in the first half and no goals scored, Emily Shuler launched a chance shot from midfield in the 40th minute putting the ball in the top of the net to give the Purple and Gold the 1-0 advantage.
“Emily’s goal, for me, was one of the best goals I’ve seen since I’ve been here the last three seasons,” O’Brien said. “Everything about it was just really incredible.
“You don’t score those often and when you do you celebrate them and we did. It was just an incredible goal.”
The second half was a game of strong defensive tactics. Jacksonville held Lipscomb to only three second-half shots while taking four of its own.
“The second half was a bit tight,” O’Brien. “Jacksonville pressed us, put us under more pressure, and was a little bit more direct. That’s obviously a little bit more difficult to deal with.
“Overall it was a great game. Getting a result over the conference champions is wonderful and I’m just really proud.”
Lipscomb improves to 8-4-2, 2-0-1 in the conference while Jacksonville falls to 8-5-1, 2-1 in the conference.
- The Lady Bisons defeated Jacksonville for the first time in program history. Lipscomb is now 1-11 all-time against the Dolphins.
- Caroline Chadwell made her first start of the season recording one shot and logging 53 minutes.
- Lipscomb continues to expand the school record for most shutouts in a season. The win over Jacksonville marks the team’s 10th shutout of the season.
- Goalie Anna Buhigas snagged two saves against the Dolphins. Jacksonville’s goalie Sarah Sierra picked up five.
- Natalie DuBoise led the team with five shots while Jade Abarca followed with three. The match also saw one shot from eight other Lady Bisons.
- The Purple and Gold registered four corner kicks to Jacksonville’s three.
Up Next: The Lady Bisons begin a stretch of away games next weekend. The team travels to DeLand, Florida to play Stetson Oct. 10 followed by Florida Gulf Coast Oct. 12 and USC Upstate Oct. 17.
“It’s a long, arduous road trip and those are difficult sometimes, but I think we’re ready,” O’Brien said. “We’re excited.
“We’re on a little bit of a roll. We don’t want to be overconfident, but we’re just feeling good about the way we’re playing right now.”