|October 10, 2014||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||39:03||Lail, Anna (Lundy, Ellen )|
|STET||44:47||Matthews, Autumn (Sullivan, Katlyn , Keomanivane, Mara)|
|STET||46:16||Suarez, Adrianna (Bernecker, Carmen )|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||STET|
|Shots (on Goal)||11 (7)||13 (6)|
DeLand, Fla. – The Lipscomb women’s soccer team recorded a program best ninth win for the season after picking up a 4-2 win over Stetson Friday night.
"We (coaches) were really proud of the team tonight,” said Lipscomb head women’s soccer coach Kevin O’Brien. “Road wins are always more difficult to come by, so to get a positive result against a good Stetson team was fantastic."
The Lady Bisons improve to 9-4-2 and 3-0-1 in the conference while the Hatters fall to 3-10-1 and 1-3 in the A-Sun.
Junior Anna Lail collected two goals for Lipscomb. Her first goal came in the 29th minute after the ball was deflected off the keeper’s hands. Her second was assisted by Ellen Lundy in the 40th minute after the goalie cleared the ball to Lail.
Stetson picked up steam just before halftime scoring the team’s first goal in the 45th minute. Autumn Matthews used a cross from Katlyn Sullivan to cut the deficit to 2-1.
In the 47th minute, Adrianna Suarez took hold of a loose ball along the left goal line after an assist from Carmen Bernecker to tie up the game 2-2.
Lipscomb answered with a goal by Emily Shuler 35 yards out in the 71st minute followed by another in the 82nd minute by Lundy. Lundy’s goal came off a loose ball 25 yards out, which she put in the upper left corner of the net.
"We showed some real resolve in the game,” O’Brien said. “Stetson made it very hard to play...and when they came back from two goals down, it demanded we be strong mentally and really dig deep for one another."
Goalie Anna Buhigas made a phenomenal save on a penalty kick to avoid a Stetson comeback. She collected her ninth win increasing her record to 9-4-2 picking up four saves.
"Anna's penalty save was big time,” O’Brien said. “It changed the momentum late in the match and we quickly went from a possible 3-3 score line to scoring the fourth goal and making the final moments a lot easier on ourselves."
Lipscomb closed out the night with 11 shots placing seven on goal while Stetson logged 13 putting six on goal.
- The Purple and Gold captured its first-ever victory over the Hatters.
- The win over Stetson is Lipscomb’s only victory of the season that was not a shutout.
- Lail scored her first two goals of the season against the Hatters. Shuler made her second goal of the year while Lundy snagged her fifth.
- Seven Lady Bisons posted shots against Stetson. Lail, Lundy, and Baylee Linnell led the team with two shots each.
- Lundy leads the team in points (12), goals (5), and shots on goal (11). She is tied at 23 with Natalie DuBoise for most shots.
- Caroline Chadwell made her second start of the season.
- Stetson took six corner kicks while the Purple and Gold only had one.
- The team is inching closer to breaking the school record for most shots in a season. The current record stands at 217. The Lady Bisons are at 207 for the year.
Up Next: Lipscomb travels to Fort Myers, Florida Sunday at noon CST to take on the Eagles.