NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb women’s soccer team will be taking on Ball State Sunday afternoon for its first regular season home game of 2015.
The Lady Bisons are coming off of a scoreless tie in the opening game of the 2015 regular season against Tennessee. After a scoreless 90 minutes of regulation, the game continued with two more scoreless overtime periods. It wass the program's first tie against an SEC team.
Scouting the Cardinals:
- In 2014, Ball State finished with an overall record of 11-7-2 and a MAC record of 6-5. The Cardinals reached the semifinals of the MAC tournament.
- Ball State was selected as the preseason co-favorites in the MAC West Division.
In the only previous matchup between the two teams, Lipscomb lost 4-0 at Ball State in 2009.
- Four of the six leading scorers from 2014 return for the Cardinals: Gabby Veldman, Leah Mattingly, Elaina Musleh and Madison Oyer.
- In the opening game of the 2015 season, Ball State defeated Jacksonville State 4-0. Veldman, Lorina White, Kelcy Fisher and Kelsey Wendlandt all scored for the Cardinals.
- The Lady Bisons finished the preseason on Sunday with a 3-0 defeat over Battle of the Boulevard rival Belmont. In the match, seniors Elizabeth Ashwood and Molly Bray and sophomore Jade Abarca all notched goals. Goalkeepers Anna Buhigas and Kate Mason combined for the shutout in net. In the first game of the preseason, Lipscomb tied UAB 0-0 in Birmingham.
- Juniors Carolyn Springsteen and Ellen Lundy were named to the preseason A-Sun All-Conference Team, as voted by the league coaches. In the coaches’ poll, Lipscomb was picked to finish third, a spot in which they tied with Kennesaw State. Both teams received 46 points and a first place vote in the poll.
- At the conclusion of the 2014 season, the Lady Bisons had six players named to the A-Sun All-Conference teams, including four returning players. In addition to being named the A-Sun Goalkeeper of the Year, Anna Buhigas earned a spot on the All-Conference First Team. Jade Abarca joined Buhigas on the First Team and Carolyn Springsteen was named to the Second team. Abarca and Emily Rogers were voted onto the All-Freshman team.
- Despite falling to Kennesaw State 1-0 in double overtime in the first game of the 2014 A-Sun Tournament, returning senior defender Emily Shuler was named to the All-Tournament Team.
The game will begin at noon at Lipscomb Soccer Complex.