HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – The Lipscomb (3-0-2) women’s soccer team extended its undefeated, shutout streak to five games with a 9-0 win over Alabama A&M (0-2) on Tuesday afternoon.
With the shutout the Lady Bisons have now tied the Atlantic Sun record for consecutive shutouts to start a season at five. The record was previously set by Centenary in 1997. The 5-0 start is also a program best for Lipscomb.
“It was a very good team performance today,” women’s soccer head coach Kevin O’Brien said. “We scored goals and were able to preserve another shutout. I’m proud of each girl’s contribution to the win.”
Lipscomb’s offense got going early and often with a goal from Maycie McKay in the 17th minute.
Paige Miller and Elizabeth Ashwood scored in successive attempts in the 23rd and 24th minutes.
In the 30th minute, Caroline Chadwell slotted in a score on a fast break, which was followed almost immediately by a corner kick goal from Niamh Rawlins.
Lyndie Donegan scored a goal of her own in the 35th minute after notching a pair of assists in the first half, and Alesondra Colbert snuck in a score just before the end of the first half to give Lipscomb a 7-0 halftime lead.
The Lady Bisons managed two goals in the second half from Alesondra Colbert in the 68th minute and Caroline Chadwell in the 79th minute. It was the second goal of the game for both.
“We’ve been in a good run of form lately, and I’m hopeful the players can continue to perform at a high level as we move closer to A-Sun conference play,” O’Brien said.
- Lipscomb’s shutout streak now stands at 490 consecutive minutes to start the season, encompassing three regulation wins and two double overtime ties. Goalkeeper Anna Buhigas currently leads the A-Sun with five shutouts.
- Miller, Colbert, Rawlins, Chadwell and Donegan all notched their first goals of the season.
- The Purple and Gold have won all three matchups with the Bulldogs, including last season’s 7-0 victory.
- The Lady Bisons took 19 shots in the game, with 16 coming on goal.
- Donegan led in the assists column with two in the victory.
UP NEXT: The Lady Bisons will be back in play with two in-state games over the weekend. On Friday, Lipscomb takes on Chattanooga at 7:00 p.m. at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex. On Sunday, Lipscomb will make the trip to Vanderbilt for a 2:30 p.m. matchup.