NASHVILLE – After successfully finishing the nonconference portion of its schedule with a conference-best 5-2-4 record, the Lipscomb women’s soccer team begin Atlantic Sun action against Kennesaw State Saturday night at 6 p.m.
The Lady Bisons hosted the Nike Invitational last weekend, and finished the tournament undefeated with one win and one draw. In Thursday’s matchup, Lipscomb defeated Akron 2-0. In her first game back from injury, sophomore midfielder Jade Abarca slotted in the game’s first goal to set the tone before senior defender Emily Shuler secured the win with a booming shot from deep.
On Saturday, the Purple and Gold tied with Western Carolina 1-1. Freshman Maycie McKay notched Lipscomb’s only goal in the game, giving her a team-leading six on the season.
Scouting the Owls:
- Kennesaw State has started off the season 3-6-1, with its most recent outing being a 5-2 loss at Sanford.
- The Owls lead the series 10-2, and won the last matchup between the two teams. Kennesaw knocked Lipscomb out of the A-Sun Tournament in 2014 1-0 in double overtime.
- Junior Cassidy Kemp leads Kennesaw in both goals (5) and points (12), while sophomore Ida Hepsoe leads with three assists.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Ashley Zambetti has notched 27 saves so far in 2015.
- McKay won the A-Sun Player of the Week for her performance in the Nike Invite. She notched a goal, which places her first on the team and second in the conference with six, and an assist in the two games. She is also tied for the A-Sun lead with 30 shots, 14 of which have been on goal.
- Junior goalkeeper Anna Buhigas leads the A-Sun in shutouts (7), GAA (0.59), and save percentage (.894) and is second in saves (59). She leads the nation in goalkeeper minutes played at 1,070.
- Lipscomb is first in the conference in shots (147), goals allowed (7), GAA (0.59), and shutouts (7), and second in goals (22), goals per game (2.00), saves (62), and points (58).
You can follow along with the match on live stats or live streaming.