CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb (1-2-1) women’s soccer team earned its first road loss of the season as the Bisons were shutout 1-0 by Austin Peay (3-1) at the Morgan Brothers Soccer field.
After a scoreless first half, Austin Peay senior Kirstin Robertson sent in a perfectly-placed chip for her third goal of the season to give the Governors a 1-0 lead in the 53rd minute.
“It was a really tough match to loose today," Lipscomb women's soccer head coach Kevin O'Brien said.
"To concede the game-winning goal on a deflected clearance is heartbreaking, but I must say that the finish, by Kirsten, was very well taken."
Despite an active attack that saw 15 shots and three shots-on-goal, Lipscomb was unable to produce a score.
Senior goalkeeper Kate Mason fended off the Govs for most of the afternoon, notching a career-high seven saves to keep the Bisons in the game.
“We just aren't playing as well as we are capable of playing at the moment," O'Brien said. "We are lacking the cutting edge and competitiveness it takes to see a game like this go in our favor.
“We are playing well in spurts, but we cannot seem to put it together for a full 90 minutes. In the end, I've got to figure out a way to get more quality and consistency from our team.”
- The Bisons are now 4-9-1 in the series history versus Austin Peay.
- Sophomore Leah Cernicky led the team with three total shots.
- Lipscomb outshot Austin Peay 15-14, but the Govs had an 8 to 3 shots-on-goal advantage.
- The Bisons earned four corner kicks to Austin Peay’s two.
- Lipscomb notched five fouls, while the Govs were whistled for four.
- Mason, senior Niamh Rawlins, and juniors Justis Bailey and Brooke Brenner went the full 90 minutes for the Purple and Gold.
UP NEXT: The Bisons will take on their second of four SEC opponents on the season as Georgia comes to the Lipscomb Soccer Complex for a 7 p.m. kickoff.