|October 14, 2017||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||54:43||DOAK, Olivia (BAILEY, Justis )|
|LIP||69:22||WALSH, Jordan (PARKER, Alliyah )|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||UPST|
|Shots (on Goal)||28 (13)||5 (4)|
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Lipscomb (7-5-3) women’s soccer team once again rode second-half heroics to victory as the Bisons defeated USC Upstate 3-2 in South Carolina on Saturday afternoon.
All three Bison goals came in the second half, as did both of the Spartans (6-7-1) goals in what was a back-and-forth period of play.
Lipscomb first got onto the scoreboard almost immediately after halftime. In the 46th minute, senior Natalie DuBoise scored an unassisted goal off of a corner kick as the ball was deflected off of a defender and into the back of the net. The goal was her second of the season, and gave the Bisons a 1-0 lead.
USC Upstate responded quickly, as the Spartans Abbie Ellis scored twice in the next six minutes. She first scored off of a penalty kick after the Bisons were called for a handball in the box. She then followed that up with a shot into the right of the net to give the Spartans a 2-1 lead.
Lipscomb tied it up at two goals apiece just three minutes later in the 55th as sophomore Olivia Doak found the ball bouncing around in the box and placed it in the bottom left corner of the net. It was her third score of the season. Junior Justis Bailey set it up with her first assist of the year.
The Bisons took the lead back for good in the 70th minute thanks to a score in the left side of the net from sophomore Jordan Walsh, her first of the season, off of an assist across the box from freshman Alliyah Parker.
Lipscomb Women's Soccer Head Coach Kevin O'Brien's Thoughts:
"I’m both excited about and proud of our team’s performance today. I'm excited that we picked up three vital points in conference and proud that we fought through some adversity to see out the result.
“I thought we played really well in stretches of the game today, only to make make critical errors that cost us goals. We’ll need to be way more consistent if we want to realize our potential as a team.
“It’s an unusually quick turnaround for us to play on Tuesday, but we’ll regroup quickly and start preparing our gameplan for FGCU.”
- Lipscomb has only lost two of its last 19 regular season conference games.
- The Bisons now lead the Spartans 8-3 in the all-time series.
- Lipscomb outshot Jacksonville 28-5, with a 13-4 shots-on-goal advantage.
- Redshirt-senior Ellen Lundy led the Bisons with eight shots, while Lundy and sophomore Olivia Doak tied with three shots-on-goal.
- Lipscomb earned 12 corner kicks to Upstate’s three.
- Redshirt-junior goalkeeper Kate Mason made two saves in the match, bringing her season total to 50.
- Mason, DuBoise, and redshirt-senior Niamh Rawlins went the full 90 minutes for the Purple and Gold.
UP NEXT: The Bisons will be making up a rained-out game from earlier in the season as they take on FGCU in Florida at 6 p.m. on Tuesday.