|September 21, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIPSCOMB||18:56||BRENNER, Brooke (HENRY, Riley )|
|LIPSCOMB||19:44||DOAK, Olivia (MCKAY, Maycie )|
|LIPSCOMB||35:23||HENRY, Riley (WALSH, Jordan )|
|NJIT||48:53||Fiona Wright (Siani Magruder )|
|LIPSCOMB||78:43||HENRY, Riley (DOAK, Olivia )|
|Stats at a Glance||LIPSCOMB||NJIT|
|Shots (on Goal)||20 (15)||15 (8)|
NEWARK, N.J. – The Lipscomb women’s soccer team started out the ASUN portion of the season about as good as they could have hoped for as the Lady Bisons defeated NJIT 5-1 on the road on Friday afternoon.
Lipscomb (6-3-2, 1-0) came out of the gates firing with three goals in the first half.
Senior Brooke Brenner scored first in the 20th minute, her second goal of the season. She sent in a scorcher from 25 yards out into the top right corner to put Lipscomb ahead early.
Less than a minute later, junior Olivia Doak notched her team-high fifth goal of the season off of a corner kick from redshirt-junior Maycie McKay to give Lipscomb a 2-0 lead.
In the 36th minute, sophomore Riley Henry joined the scoring barrage. She found the ball in the box off of a pass from junior Jordan Walsh, her first assist on the year.
NJIT (6-3-1, 0-1) got onto the board early in the second half as Fiona Wright headed in a corner kick for her fifth score of the season.
In the 61st minute, McKay notched a goal of her own off a rebounded shot from Henry. It was her third score of the year.
Henry put the final score in the back of the net in the 79th minute as she rebounded Doak's shot off the crossbar to earn her second goal of the game and her team-best sixth of the season.
Redshirt-senior goalkeeper Kate Mason notched seven saves in the win to give her 48 for the season.
Lipscomb women's soccer head coach Kevin O'Brien's thoughts:
"“It was a really tough match today against a much improved NJIT side. The scoreline was certainly not indicative of how tight the match really was, nor does it reflect how talented the NJIT team actually is this season.
"I’m happy with the final result, that we scored five goals, and that we picked up three vital points on the road to start ASUN play.”
- Lipscomb is now 4-0 all-time against NJIT and has won six ASUN openers in a row.
- Henry also notched an assist on Brenner’s goal, her first assist of the year. She has 13 points so far for the season.
- Doak leads the team with 15 total points after her goal and assist in today’s win.
- McKay is up to 11 total points after her goal-and-assist performance.
- Doak and McKay are tied for the team lead with five assists each.
- Lipscomb outshot NJIT 20-15, and notched 15 shots-on-goal to NJIT’s eight.
- Doak took a season-high six shots, while she and McKay each notched three shots-on-goal.
- Mason, Brenner, seniors Justis Bailey and Dom Diller, junior Hailey Eck, and freshman Logan McFadden went the full 90 minutes for the Purple and Gold.
UP NEXT: The Lady Bisons have a full week’s break before taking on Stetson in DeLand next Friday at 6 p.m.