FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Lipscomb women’s soccer team scored early and held strong on Sunday afternoon as they led from beginning to end against the previously undefeated the No. 23-ranked FGCU Eagles, taking a 1-0 victory in Fort Myers.
The Lady Bisons (8-3-2, 3-0) got an early goal from Kristi Jones in just the second minute of action, her first of the season, and the only score of the game.
Jones tapped in a pass from junior Olivia Doak after a flurry of passes in an impressive display of ball movement for Lipscomb.
Doak’s assist was her seventh of the season. She has a team-high 19 points on the year.
FGCU (9-1-2, 3-1) had combined to beat their three previous ASUN opponents 12-0 before the loss today.
Redshirt-senior goalkeeper Kate Mason notched three saves in the shutout win to give her 56 for the season, including a key late stop on an FGCU free kick. She now has four shutouts this year.
Thoughts from head coach Kevin O'Brien:
"I’m really proud of the team and our performance today. We made some tweaks to the team shape and our guys embraced it and adapted very well to the changes. It shows a real maturity that our program has lacked in years past.
“To pick up nine points after three road matches is awesome and it sets us up well moving forward. But, it’s easily the strongest our conference has been, so there’s no time to celebrate. It’s back to work on Tuesday.
- The Lady Bisons are undefeated in their last three regular season matchups with FGCU.
- From the 2015 season to now, Lipscomb is 19-3-2 in ASUN regular season play.
- Lipscomb outshot FGCU 17-12, including 8-3 with shots on goal. Lady Bisons allowed zero first-half shots on goal.
- Doak led the team with five shots, while Doak and juniors Maycie McKay and Leah Cernicky each notched three shots on goal.
- Mason, seniors Justis Bailey and Dom Diller, junior Hailey Eck, and freshman Logan McFadden went the full 90 minutes for the Purple and Gold.
- Lipscomb only took one corner in the win. FGCU had four.
- There were no offsides called in the game.
UP NEXT: The Lady Bisons will host Liberty for the first time as an ASUN member on Oct. 7 at 1 p.m.