KENNESAW, Ga. – Following 98 minutes of play on Sunday night, the Lipscomb women’s soccer team were crowned the outright ASUN regular season champions thanks to a 1-0 extra time win at Kennesaw State.
After winning a share of the conference title last season, this is the program’s first-ever outright title.
The Lady Bisons (12-4-2, 7-1) entered Sunday tied for first with Kennesaw State (12-5-1, 5-3), having already earned a first-round bye and hosting duties with the day’s other results around the conference.
But, thanks to a 98th-minute game-winner from redshirt-junior Maycie McKay, Lipscomb will enter the ASUN Tournament alone atop the conference standings.
McKay slotted home the winning goal off of an assist from junior Olivia Doak. The goal was McKay’s sixth for the season, and the assist was Doak’s team-leading ninth on the year.
The Lipscomb defense has now held their opponent scoreless in six of eight ASUN games, while allowing just two goals in all of conference play.
Redshirt-senior Kate Mason came up big with five saves in the win, giving her 78 for the season. It was also her seventh shutout of the year.
- Doak added to her team-leading point total. She now has 23. McKay has 19 total points for the second-highest mark on the team.
- KSU outshot Lipscomb 17-11, while they each had five shots on goal.
- McKay led the Lady Bisons with three shots and two shots on goal.
- Mason, seniors Justis Bailey and Dom Diller, redshirt-sophomore Audrey Ann Beck, and freshman Logan McFadden went the full 90 minutes for the Purple and Gold.
- The win gives the Lady Bisons their 12th victory of the season - tying the program record. It's the third time in four years that they have recorded 12 wins and the fourth time in the last five campaigns that they have notched double-digit victories.
- Lipscomb is the number one seed in the ASUN Tournament and will host at least one game for the second season in a row.
UP NEXT: The Lady Bisons will take on the winner of Friday’s first-round matchup between No. 4 FGCU and No. 5 Liberty next Sunday.