|November 03, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||15:09||DOAK, Olivia (SCHURCH, Emanuela )|
|UNA||42:54||SOUSA, Margarida (LENSING, Grace )|
|LIP||50:24||DOAK, Olivia (CERNICKY, Leah )|
|Stats at a Glance||UNA||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||8 (5)||17 (10)|
NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb women’s soccer team made history on Saturday night as the Lady Bisons won their first-ever ASUN Tournament title by defeating North Alabama 3-2, sending the Lady Bisons to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in program history.
Lipscomb (14-4-2) and UNA (11-9-1) battled back and forth in Nashville for the conference crown.
The Lady Bisons got on the scoreboard first in the 16th minute, as ASUN Player of the Year Olivia Doak slipped the ball past the UNA keeper on an assist from freshman Emanuela Schurch.
Lipscomb scored again in the 39th minute as redshirt-junior Maycie McKay dribbled up the left side for the score.
UNA jumped into the scoring action just before halftime as Margarida Sousa notched a goal in the 43rd minute, cutting Lipscomb’s lead to 2-1.
The two teams came out firing early in the second half, with Doak collecting her second goal of the night. Junior Leah Cernicky set up Doak for the score in the 51st minute.
Three minutes later, the Lions earned a penalty, which leading scorer Shelby Wall converted.
In the remaining 36 minutes, the two teams traded chances, but both goalkeepers kept the nets empty.
Redshirt-senior Kate Mason came up with three saves, giving her 88 for the season.
Mason, Doak, McKay, and senior Brooke Brenner were named to the All-Tournament team, and McKay was named the Tournament MVP.
The Lady Bisons advance to the NCAA Women’s Soccer College Cup with the victory.
Lipscomb’s opponent will be decided on Monday during the selection show at 3:30 p.m. There will be a viewing party open to the public in Allen Arena’s Hall of Fame room with doors opening at 3.
- Doak now has nine goals on the season. The junior has totaled 27 points for the year. Both are career highs.
- McKay notched her seventh goal of the season. She has 21 points.
- Schurch’s assist was first of the season, while Cernicky’s was her second.
- The penalty was the first called against Lipscomb this season.
- Lipscomb outshot UNA 17-8, with a 10-5 shots-on-goal lead.
- Doak led the Lady Bisons with five shots. Doak and sophomore Riley Henry tied with three shots on goal.
- Mason, Brenner, Cernicky, and seniors Justis Bailey and Dom Dillerwent the full 90 minutes for the Purple and Gold.